Announcements
Visit Fusion 360 Feedback Hub, the great way to connect to our Product, UX, and Research teams. See you there!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe go through the tooltips and make sure they're not completely useless

Maybe go through the tooltips and make sure they're not completely useless

This is an example of a completely useless tooltip - adding the words "specifies the" to the field name doesn't make it helpful.  In this case it would be useful to know what the helical ramp diameter is used for and how it affects the cut - how does it relate to the size of the bit?  Is there anything else you can tell me about this setting to help me figure out what its useful values might be?  I'm not really asking about this particular setting, I'm saying that these are the questions that should be asked about every tooltip to make sure it's helpful.

Untitled.png

10 Comments
mike.mattera
Alumni

Thanks for your input. We are always working to add new and improve existing ToolTips(TT). One of the biggest problems with this particular TT is that the defaults for the minimum and maximum are equal.  Had they been 90% of the tool and 20% of the tool (Max/Min) the user would probably have had better success.

I have addressed the Helix min/max in a recent tutorial. If you would like to watch the video on this page, at the 5:55 time mark, you'll find a short example of using this parameter.

I hope you find this helpful.

Please feel free to suggest any additional parameters that you feel are under defined with ToolTips. I would also go so far as to ask what you think it should say. We're open to all suggestions.

Again, Thanks for your input.

keqingsong
Community Manager
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Yes, we are looking into these now and getting them updated. 

sprior913
Advocate

Thank you.  Note that I'm really not just talking about that one, I'm talking about all tooltips everywhere which don't add any more description than the field name did.

sprior913
Advocate

Despite this being accepted for over a year and I continue to get kudos for reporting it, not even this specific tooltip has been clarified.

mike.mattera
Alumni

You are absolutely right. Despite the fact that I have created or improved over 100 of the ToolTips in Fusion/Inventor, I have neglected to update this one. Do you have an opinion for any specific wording? I'm open to input  as to what makes the most sense to you.

sprior913
Advocate

I really don't have any specific wording in mind (I still don't completely understand how this option works), but I mentioned some specific questions in my initial post above and the more of those questions answered the better (unless they were stupid questions).

mike.mattera
Alumni

How about this...  "Defines the diameter for the helical ramp"    J/K 🙂

When the Ramp Type is set to Helix, the system uses the Helix Ramp Diameter and the Minimum Ramp Diameter to figure out the best place to start ramping into the part. (BTW: Those 2 parameters should NOT be set to the same value. )  I believe this diameter is to the center of the tool and not to the outer diameter of the end mill. I need to test it to make sure, and I'll specify that in the tooltip.

Helix Ramp Diameter: The maximum radius for a helical entry into the cavity.  It's best that this value is not bigger than the diameter of the tool. This would leave a spire or boss standing in the center of the helix.  An optimal value causes the tool to overlap it's center while still creating the maximum helical bore for the entry into the cavity. Fusion will determine the best location for the entry helix, unless and Entry Position is selected. (Entry Positions are shown below the Ramp parameters).

Minimum Ramp Diameter: The smallest helix diameter that is acceptable. Smaller diameters reduce the chip evacuation and can cause breakage. This value should always be smaller than the Helix Ramp Diameter, so the system can calculate a range that fits the available pocket or channel.

Does that help?  I'll try to get something like in in on the next release, with some illustrations.

Sorry I dndn't get to this sooner.

mike.mattera
Alumni

BTW:  "...(unless they were stupid questions)."

No Such Thing, If You Dont Know.

The point of ToolTips if to help everyone understand whet the parameters do. While I have replaced a lot of those "non-informational" tooltips, I just missed this one. Thanks for bringing it back to the foreground.

mike.mattera
Alumni

@Anonymous   can we look at changing the   Helix Ramp Diameter:  and  Minimum Ramp Diameter: defaults to be different values?

Helix Ramp Diameter:  .80 of the tool dia. (gives a nice overlap on the center)

Minimum Ramp Diameter:   .50  of the Helix Ramp Diameter.

At least then it will have a range to work with.

sprior913
Advocate

While we're on the topic of unhelpful messages.  I tried to create fully modeled 1 1/4"-8 UNC threads and got the following error, but then clicking on the "more info" link provides no more info.

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report