Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
HSM Support Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slitting Saws and Importing Form Tools Needs Improvement

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Matt.WestSU7H9
307 Views, 4 Replies

Slitting Saws and Importing Form Tools Needs Improvement

So if we have a slitting saw with a nut on the bottom, why isn't there an option for a flute length offset when setting up the tool. The "tip offset" does nothing but visually moves a reference line, but when running simulation it cuts too high in Z. Sure I could add a -.212 Z stock offset to make the sim run right, but when we touch off the tool as a shell mill in the Haas, it would then cut .212 too deep.

More tooling setup options = better. Just sayin'.

Why not have an actual "Slitting Saw" setup that has distinct options for the arbor and for the saw?  One can get close with the "Slot Mill", but theres no bottom nut option, which easily leads to another crash.

Also be able to differentiate between the cutter and the nut!

20240411_102355.jpg

Need Flute Length Offset.png

.212 off.png

T174 Path.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
LastFX
in reply to: Matt.WestSU7H9

I understand your problem. Autodesk has not done any work on this yet. This problem also exists in Fusion 360 Cam.

I use a saw with a diameter of 250 and a thickness of 18 mm. There is a nut under our saw. We adjust the set as if that nut does not exist... 

Since the saw is only used for side discharge, the nut underneath is free most of the time. It doesn't hit anything. Therefore, we do not take that nut into account when using InvCam.

But Autodesk should do this, of course...

Message 3 of 5
lenny_1962

I believe you need to set the bottom of the blade at Z Zero, not the bottom of the nut when you draw up the form tool

Message 4 of 5
Matt.WestSU7H9
in reply to: lenny_1962

That's how I designed the tool.

Z 0.000 Bottom of Blade.

ZERO ON BLADE BOOTOM.png

ZERO ON BLADE BOTTOM 002.png

Message 5 of 5
FTKnur

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report