Community
HSM Support Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Tool Orientation" Setting does nothing (Does not actually override origin)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Camxcamx5000
294 Views, 6 Replies

"Tool Orientation" Setting does nothing (Does not actually override origin)

Hello all. I've been using HSM for Solidworks for a while now. Something I've run into which is a MASSIVE problem is that the "tool orientation" option does not actually set the tool origin properly.
In the below example: I've set my probe to use the G59 WCS (top corner of part) and my tools to use the G54 WCS (center of part, measured via bore). In the probing operations I've set the origin to be completely different (top corner of the part, so that it matches up with the G59 WCS in the machine). However, when I look in the post processed nc file and in stock simulation, it is outputting the position relative to the G54 WCS (center of the part), even if I override it in the operation to use something completely different.
Seriously disappointing this is a bug that has existed for years now and it hasn't been addressed.
Thanks.

Camxcamx5000_0-1723582453002.pngCamxcamx5000_1-1723582471581.png

Camxcamx5000_2-1723582717859.png

I have discovered a workaround, but it's really frustrating that in order to have machine referenced probing, I have to have 1 job for probing, and then another job in a completely separate WCS for the actual machining.
Unsure how this wasn't caught when the "tool orientation" feature was tested (if at was tested all...)

Camxcamx5000_3-1723583219442.pngCamxcamx5000_4-1723583233592.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
lenny_1962
in reply to: Camxcamx5000

does this work in Fusion or IVCAM?

I ask because they are all the same core code from the original HSMWorks that AD bought.

Maybe Jeff Pek can answer this? @jeff.pek 

Message 3 of 7
Camxcamx5000
in reply to: lenny_1962

I'm not sure because my workplace does not have access to Fusion. We only use HSM for Solidworks here.

Message 4 of 7
jeff.pek

I don't know, either. Would have to test it out. 

Can you share a model that shows this? Maybe we can do the same thing in the other products, and see how they behave.

Jeff

Message 5 of 7
lenny_1962

@Camxcamx5000 wrote:

I'm not sure because my workplace does not have access to Fusion. We only use HSM for Solidworks here.

You should have Fusion because HSMWorks piggybacks on it now.

Message 6 of 7
lenny_1962
in reply to: jeff.pek

@jeff.pek wrote:

I don't know, either. Would have to test it out. 

Can you share a model that shows this? Maybe we can do the same thing in the other products, and see how they behave.

Jeff

I asks this because if all three have the same issue it was never addressed.

If Fusion has it it just means where HSMWorks is at now is probably where it will stay until it is retired.

Message 7 of 7
Camxcamx5000
in reply to: jeff.pek

Just to confirm, the CAM setup is inside a SLDASM file. You'd like me to share then file with the parts included so you can examine the setup and look at the differences between the two methods I outlined?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report