OPtimal Strategy for machining round undercuts

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
616 Views, 4 Replies

OPtimal Strategy for machining round undercuts

Hi All,

My first post!

Ok two areas I am struggling with and hope the community may have some ideas on best practice etc.

Number1:

You'll see below I need to figure out a way on my 3axis CNC mill to machine the undercut, i.e. the inside edge and associsted surface. I have to date been using "3D Contour". Possibly doing something wrong, but I would expect I'd be able to select the inside surfaces to machine and it would generate accordingly, but appears to need a contour to follow. Is it not possible to simply select surfaces for it to machine?

HSM Help.pdf

HSM Help 3.jpg

HSM Help 4.jpg

Number 2:

You'll see below the part I am trying to machine. At the moment I need to machine one side, then flip over re-zero then machine, then flip onto side re-zero then machine, etc. Interested in any ideas on minmising the amount of re-zero etc to speed up time to manufacture. Note, I only have 3 axis machine.

HSM Help 2.jpg

Thanks guys, hopefully some ideas.

Thanks

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ArjanDijk
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, you can select a face, use "avoid/touch surfaces on the 2nd tab" en check "touch surface"

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 3 of 5
Rob.Lockwood
in reply to: ArjanDijk

i'd also suggest adding a copy of the surface with all of the cutouts patched. Will help immensely with getting a nice toolpath.

Rob Lockwood
Maker of all the things.
| Oculus | | Locked Tool | | Instagram |

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Rob.Lockwood

Just tried to path and stitch together a surface, however there isn't the option to do this.....this is because I believe I am developing the CAM in an Assembly.

Message 5 of 5
jeff.walters
in reply to: Anonymous

That’s very true. You will need to open the part file to add the surface.

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report