Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engraving 3d surfaces

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
939 Views, 6 Replies

Engraving 3d surfaces

Do the engraving routines *REALLY* only work on 2D surfaces? I'm making a torx driver stand and when I try to use the engraving un an angled surface, it just outputs toolpaths on a horizontal plane. Suggestions for how to make this work? looked around the forums and found nada.

Thanks,

Josh

typical issues.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Laurens-3DTechDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

Short answer is yes.

it's a 2D Operation.

Long Answer is we could do this before there even was a 2D Engrave.

I made a video on the possibilities: https://youtu.be/ZAcD-ghi9OA

Find your best shot is the 3D Pencil. You'll find the result around 2:50. So here: https://youtu.be/ZAcD-ghi9OA?t=2m50s

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Laurens-3DTechDraw

Hi Laurens,

I appreciate the idea, however the surface isn't flat to the Z axis, so none of those seem to work with a chamfer mill. I kind of gave up and used a 1/32" ball mill and the 3D pencil path as I knew it would work-ish, but got predictably crappy results because the corners aren't sharp like I needed. Hoping someone has a way to make this work with a chamfer mill.

Chalk another one up to Autodesk failing to improve/incorporate basic items that have been requested for years #SMDH

Message 4 of 7
Laurens-3DTechDraw

@Anonymous

Actually, haven't heard anyone complain that the engrave only works 2D.

So not too sure if that this is a basic item that has been requested for years.

But if you can share the model I can see if I can help program it.(Even if it's just for reference for a next project.)

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 5 of 7
ArjanDijk

@Anonymous, have not heard the request before from any of my customers. You must keep in mind that HSM is CNC milling for machineparts and includes some engraving possibility's, just as Type 3/ArtCAM  is CNC software for engraving and included some machining strategies.

I tried something in your example and Pencil does not really help out. If you have a multiaxis machine you can try BETA mode where Engraving is enabled for 4 axis. Thats the closest you can get I think.

I'm afraid that your request is not one that many customers share, but you can support me by voting on this idea which will add to the focus on engraving or start your own idea and see how many users face the same issues.

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 6 of 7

Have your tried tapered endmill? The results seem ok.

3dengrave.JPG

Inventor HSM and Fusion 360 CAM trainer and postprocessor builder in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report