Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SharkCNC post anyone?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
DrewHarakal
1893 Views, 18 Replies

SharkCNC post anyone?

Trying to postprocess for a Shark CNC by Next Wave Automation with Fusion360, but it seems they only made posts for the Aspire family of software (V-Carve, Cut3d). Does anyone have a work around, or a starting point off of another post that would take minimal editing? My google-fu hasn't turned up much of any results.

I'm pretty new to the world of CAM, and don't really have anyone I can call and talk to, so any help I could get would be phenomenal...
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
skidsolo
in reply to: DrewHarakal

The next wave website has no information about the controller, apart from its called Virtual Zero software? Can you post a sample NC code file that cam with the machine ? I have contacted the manufacturer for some samples also.
Andrew W. Software engineer (CAM Post Processors)
Message 3 of 19
DrewHarakal

When I have it post from Vcarve (to do 2d cuts, profiles and pockets) it comes out as a .tap file. They use a proprietary controller software for their machines.

I'll attach one of those that have run successfully. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.
Message 4 of 19
skidsolo

Here is my best first guess from the samples I got from SharkCNC. Any alterations please contact cam.posts.autodesk.com
Message 5 of 19
skidsolo

I have had feed back from nextwave automation, they told me that the machine can do circular arcs G2 and G3. I made this test version if you could provide me with feed back?
Message 6 of 19
alchemist243
in reply to: skidsolo

Any chance that SharkCNC post processor can be easily modified to create a CNC Piranha post processor?

thanks.

Message 7 of 19
aaronforaudio

Hello!  I know this post is old, but I found it because I am having trouble getting Fusion to export usable gcode for use with the CNC Shark.

I've attached an example file from the cps post processor you attached, and one from vectric vcarve.  In order to get my model into vectric, I exported an STL and used a face to create a vector, created a tool path... The problem is that Vectric is VERY sloppy when it creates the vector, and that's obviously a problem.  Even if that worked well, the extra steps are kind of a PITA.  I named the file from Vectric "shelf_front_good" (though not good enough,) and the one from Fusion "shelf_front_bad." I changed the extensions to allow for upload here.

When I imported the gcode into the CNC shark controller, I saw immediately that there was an issue.  Let me know if I can get you screen shots, more info, files, or anything else.  Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'd even be willing to donate to you to further the cause.

I can also provide the post processors that Vectric uses if that helps.

Message 8 of 19
AndyGlass11

Drew, Any more progress on this? I would love to utilize the Fusion360 platform but I don't have a functioning post processor to use it.
Message 9 of 19
georgio
in reply to: AndyGlass11

Andrew's post from 07-17-2015 has been working well for me for the past few months.
Message 10 of 19
AndyGlass11
in reply to: georgio

Oops, I had grabbed his first link. I updated my post to the correct post processor but I am not getting the visual preview on the CNC Shark Controller interface. Do you get to preview your toolpath on yours? 

I ran multiple tool paths that I generated and the path is correct but the visual isn't showing...

Message 11 of 19
AndyGlass11

Please see my post above...

Message 12 of 19
georgio

Woah, that's possible? All I ever get to see is the first few lines of g-code and that's it.
Message 13 of 19
AndyGlass11
in reply to: georgio

Yeah you should be able to see the preview of the tool path. See the attached screen shots I pulled from google.

Message 14 of 19
jameskerst

Has anyone googled "autodesk fusion 360 export" and "vcarve desktop import" and tried to create and export from fusion 360 then import to vcarve to make the .tap file for the Shark?

Message 15 of 19
aaronforaudio

Yes I have. There aren't any great options. Fusion would be able to export vectors from individual faces. Currently, it only supports exporting vectors from sketches.

You can also export STL files, which VCarve will import happily. There's even an option to create vectors from the 3D body's face. Problem is, it's not accurate at all. Dogbone fillets take on a squiggle-vision sort of look, and angles get mangled. I opened a ticket with Vectric, and they explained that this isn't the intended use.

VCarve is the only supported g-code generator for the Shark, and Next Wave has shown no interest in opening things up or coordinating with Autodesk to create a post processor
Message 16 of 19
jameskerst
in reply to: aaronforaudio

Aaron,

I'm still new to the CNC world but I will try all of the "compatible" files
and let the forum know how I did.
Message 17 of 19
aaronforaudio
in reply to: jameskerst

I've been down that road. Let me know if you do better than I did
Message 18 of 19
georgio

You might find this useful for previewing your g-code before sending it to the controller: 

https://nraynaud.github.io/webgcode/

Personally, the CAM preview has never led me wrong. Just make sure to hide the model so it's easier to catch a crash or if the tool holder is gouging out the work. 

Message 19 of 19
jgisley

Hi,

I've been test Post Processors all week and this one is the only one I've found that has run both of my simple tests flawlessly. Thank you so much. I've just been running a square path for one test and a series of drills for the other. I'll move on to more complex cams sometime next week. What's the best source I might be able to petition for any needed updating issues if there are any. I'm running a Shark HD510 with VFD Spindle. I'm going to start reading the Post Processor Training Guide but right now its all Sanskrit to me.

Thank you again, at least I have a start.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report