Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Library Sub Folders

Tool Library Sub Folders

Need the option to create folders and sub folders within the HSM tool library. Instead of having to create folders in windows and sort tool library(.hsmlib files) and then import each folder. Why not just allow us to create a new folder and then create a new library inside that folder. Also we don't have the ability to create or import subfolders at all!

I would like to better organize my cutting tools but the options don't currently allow for that. 

End Mills

-3flt

--Finishing

---Helical

----Square corner

Carbide drills

-Guhring

--Series 730

--Series 732

-Garr

9 Comments
cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

We have been exploring a few different ways to allow users to organize tools within the tool library, folders being one of them. The fact that this has come up on the idea station confirms that is it a desired feature. Thanks for posting!

rgollob
Advocate

Thank you @Anonymous.Abraham . I'm looking forward to that update!

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

@cj.abraham - Also, sorting via machine and via operation within the active file.. Existing system is fairly annoying (and mildly crash prone) if your part needs to travel across a few machines throughout it's process, or if tools are going to get rotated out between operations.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

Also, I could make a decent argument for just moving to tool management using an external (SQL perhaps) database..

Steinwerks
Mentor

After using CAMWorks I would vote very strongly against an external tool database unless it could be proven beforehand that it wasn't complete garbage.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor
I should clarify, an externally accessible database.. not much would change
from a standard user interaction standpoint.

At the least, the ability to view and manage (add/edit) tools from outside
the software directly, and attach additional meta data as the user sees
fit, would be helpful. Along with the ability to populate large datasets a
bit more easily (it's fairly clumsy copying and pasting between Excel as is)
ahorwood
Advocate

no sql please. that was a nightmare in edgecam. was much better riding in access.

macenzydaggy
Enthusiast

Just bumping this thread. Any headway in the last 4 years regarding tool organization? Having all Jobs (Mill and Lathe) in one folder is a headache. The speeds and feeds drop down list of Fusion 360 would be nice as well. BTW CAMworks sucks. The Tech Database is a joke.

rgollob
Advocate

@macenzydaggy  Of course not. Support and updates have been trash for years. Major bugs in released versions have resulted in crashed machines and lost production time. Autodesk product are good for small shops and hobbyists  We moved away from autodesk product and use Siemens NX to program. We only keep it around until we can everything programmed out of it and then we will delete for good. I see the same limitations and subpar quality in partmaker as well...  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report