Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select same hole size and length while programming drilling functions.

Select same hole size and length while programming drilling functions.

Sometimes this select same hole size check box can be more of a PITA than a good thing. Can the option be changed to "select same hole size and length"?

This allows for different hole groups to be selected instead of all holes the same size to be grouped together. You might have a part with 3/8-16 tapped holes with some tapping thru and the others are blind tapped to a depth. With the current system you are forced to select the holes individually to get the different groups for your operation. This is OK for small amount of holes, but do a couple hundred and tell me how slick "select same hole size" works for you.

On another note could this "select hole same size function" be implemented in another way for creating patterns for sub-program support? Kinda like the create profile function or spun feature for the turning side. It would create a parametric sketch that a sup-program could use for hole patterns that don't fit into the HSMworks pattern function. 

Bargain day - 2 ideas for the cost of 1.

Greg Haisley

21 Comments
Tony
Enthusiast

@Greg_Haisley would the bottom height "hole bottom" not allow for this? if it is modeled correctly then by using the "hole bottom" and "drill tip through bottom" would this not solve that issue?

Greg_Haisley
Collaborator

@Tony you are missing the point.

It's the selection process that needs enhanced. If 2 groups of holes are lumped together you can't segregate the different groups by selecting different bottom heights. One group may have a need for the tapping to be a blind depth and the other tap thru. With the current system we can't separate the two with the "same hole size option". If length were analised by the system along with diameter, then we could get two different groups automatically with 2 mouse clicks. With the current system it takes a mouse click for each hole in my scenario.

Tony
Enthusiast

@Greg_Haisley I think I understand what you mean, but I thought that function is fulfilled with what I mentioned above, see the pictures, I have a number of holes at different depths, all drilled to the correct depth using the "Hole Bottom" for the bottom height in the 1 cycle.

or would this only be a tapping scenario you are mentioning?

Hole Depths.jpgHole Depths2.jpgHole Depths3.jpg

Greg_Haisley
Collaborator

It relates to the tapping scenario for sure. Or other situations like any function that doesn't lead to just drilling thru. Even with the drill thru like your example - if you wanted the drill to go all the way thru on the thru holes I would add some amount to the break thru parameter. You can't do that just on the drill thru holes by themselves. This is why there should be a select by hole size and length as well as the select by hole size. Both options gives the user flexibility to define a hole group the way the user wants.

We are talking about adding some flexibility to the system to make it better for all.

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

agreed, blind/thru is a common one, but also are just holes of same diameter that cover enough length variation that it makes sense to use several drills, or at least multiple different drilling approaches (no-peck/peck, etc..)

lenny_1962
Advisor

Like it............ Make it so #1

scottmoyse
Mentor
This came up during a demo the other day with a featurecam user... Definitely a shortcoming.
Greg_Haisley
Collaborator

Shortcomings are standard practice here @scottmoyse

It's kinda a funny thing. Some ideas on this Idea board get accepted right away while other ideas just lay around and nothing gets done or said about them. just like this one. They are like fruit they go bad after a week or so I guess.

Oh well - some day ADSK will wake up to see the house is burning down. Hope ADSK is not renting the fire alarms.

Like making us try to rent this code - remember its all about customer value. Yeah right!

scottmoyse
Mentor
I offered support for your idea. Then you try to turn it into a licensing model discussion. I wish I hadn't bothered.
Rob.Lockwood
Advisor

i'd support this in the context of an additional option, rather than a change to the existing behavior. It seems more often I want to handle holes of similar diamter in the same operation regardless of depth, since the bottom will correctly handle that for me.

I have had a few times where it was advantageous to alter the feature that's creating the holes, cheating diameters to split them up.. but realize this isn't always an option (a single hole wizard feature can easily produce different end-condition holes.. )

porsbym
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Just a quick update to let you know that we're working on this, and the basic idea is that there will be two additional options when you enable "Select Same Diameter":

[x] Only same Hole depth

[x] Only same Z top height

The first option has actually been in beta mode for a while in Inventor HSM and Fusion, so you should be able to try it already. The second option is in the pipeline.

Thought/comments are highly appreciated. Also on the naming of the options.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, there's a related Idea that you might like which we area also looking into: Adding "boundary" support to Drilling. This will essentially work like Machining Boundaries for the 3D strategies, and only drill holes inside the selected boundaries.

Greg_Haisley
Collaborator

@porsbym Thanks for accepting this idea. When we programmers stumble across situations like this that's what drives improvement of a product. Evolution is the correct word.

@scottmoyse Thanks for you support. I was wrong to bring up the licensing issue. Sorry about that. That thought must have been floating around my head that moment and had no place here. Keyboard panic syndrome. You know when you say something and regret it 2 seconds later, but it is too late to undo it.

scottmoyse
Mentor
to be fair I suffer from the same thing from time to time. Passion has a downside
al.whatmough
Community Manager
al.whatmough
Community Manager

Here is a quick video showing progress we are making:

Greg_Haisley
Collaborator

@al.whatmough This hole filter update is awesome. It's the little things like this that will make ADSK's product great! Simple yet very efficient.

Thanks development team,

Greg Haisley

Camtool Inc.

lenny_1962
Advisor
NICE!!!
Steinwerks
Mentor

This looks great! Now how about a Reverse option? Smiley Wink

Rob.Lockwood
Advisor
porsbym
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

Marking this as implemented since the Only Same Hole Depth and Only Same Z Top Height options made it into the September update.

The reverse option is tracked by this idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-ideas/drll-sorting-and-reverse-direction/idi-p/6712246

The boundary feature is tracked by this idea: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-ideas/select-same-diameter-holes-option-amp-quot-within-boundary-...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report