Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor HSM - Add "Both ways" or "Mixed" cut direction

Inventor HSM - Add "Both ways" or "Mixed" cut direction

We should have the ability to select a mix of both conventional and climb cut in the operations. more specifically in "2D Contour" and especially "Adaptive". There are other software's that have this available and it works great and makes the tool path that much more efficient. Especially on roughing operations like adaptive the tool would simply step forward and cut its way back to the other side as opposed to looping around and only cutting 1 direction.  

17 Comments
asarnauskas
Participant

Right now in 3D adaptive clearing you can only choose from climb or conventional milling, no both way. This adds a lot of useless movement when direction is not important. However tool tip of direction includes all 3 option.1.png

Same issue was raised couple of months ago, but now is archived( unvotable ). http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/ideastation-request-a-feature-or/cam-adaptive-clearing-cutting-both-di...

Tags (3)
kb9ydn
Advisor

I think the reason behind not having both ways milling in 3D adaptive is because it violates the intent of adaptive milling, which is to maintain a constant load on the tool during cutting.  This works with climb milling by itself, or conventional milling by itself, but not when switching back and forth between the two.  In situations where the material is soft enough that constant tool load doesn't so much matter, you can use 3D pocket which does have a both ways option.

C|

rgollob
Advocate

Update to this - I remember now there is an option in 2D Contour for "both ways", but not in Adaptive

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Both ways adaptive clearing is something we would like to do. There is strong support to do it but not a firm timeline, therefore this will be marked as a future consideration.

rgollob
Advocate

That's great to hear @cj.abraham

I look forward to seeing it available in the future!

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea. I am missing that option.  

I agree with previous poster about violating the intent, but I think it should be on a operator to choose what and how to do. I do only wood, and I don't think it is so "big" violation of intent.

al.whatmough
Alumni

Images of progress

leadsv1_directions.pngPasted image at 2017_10_16 12_27 PM.png

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: オートデスク審査落選

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes looks great please keep up the hard work!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome! 

Steinwerks
Mentor

@al.whatmough

I think this one can be marked as Implemented, yes?

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

rgollob
Advocate

Awesome!!! very excited for this!

asarnauskas
Participant

Wow, didn't expect to actually be implemented, thanks guys

al.whatmough
Alumni

Here is a quick Video showing it in action.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report