Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helical style plunging for all toolpaths

Helical style plunging for all toolpaths

Add Helical plunge, mainly for 2D contours...But in others paths would be nice also.

you get it for pockets but not contours.

When you want to go full depth for profiling and not having to pre-drill, don't always have a pock open for a drill so using the same tool works.

20 Comments
al.whatmough
Alumni

@lenny_1962 thank you for adding this as a second idea.  It makes it easy for users to vote and to track progress.

lenny_1962
Advisor

You Got It!  

keith.clausen
Collaborator

@lenny_1962 wrote:

Add Helical plunge, mainly for 2D contours...But in others paths would be nice also.

When you want to go full depth for profiling and not having to pre-drill, don't always have a pock open for a drill so using the same tool works.

Why not just use Ramp (under the linking tab) in 2D contours and adjust either ramp angle or incremental step down per profile selected. FYI which ever is less (angle or step down) is what will be used.

lenny_1962
Advisor

@keith.clausen

cause sometimes a helical works better for the job at hand, it's a plunge option that every other CAM uses but HSMWorks doesn't have for contours

I make tabs to hole parts and 2D contour between them and helical plunge is the S>H>I>T

keith.clausen
Collaborator

Hi Len,

I guess depending on the selected profile it may make a difference but over-all I have found ramp option to work fine. Do you have a profile and or some screen shots that illustrate what you are proposing?

lenny_1962
Advisor

nope just want to have the helical option Kieth.

sorry you like your way and I like my way and when the option isn't there it P_I_S_S_E_S me off.

remember i model make and prototype need to get the stuff on and off the machine quick and on to the next student parts.

I use ramp most of the time but there are just times another plunge type works best. like helical and peck styles

keith.clausen
Collaborator

@lenny_1962 wrote:

I get that Len, I wasn't saying the way I proposed is best but or with out short commings in certain instances. I was just asking for more elaboration/senario where what you are proposing would be benificial. FAB feature/advantage/benefit.

There are numerous areas of improvment that HSM would benifit from and I've worked relitively closely with the developers for longer than most and they are have always been reluctant to add new feature when something is ill defined and may just be the same or similar way of skinning the cat.  

lenny_1962
Advisor

again that is there opinion how how they think i should be cutting my stuff, not giving us the option to choose what works best for us.

been cutting stuff for 30 yrs and know what is better in my world, if it's there at least i have the choice, right now there is no choice.Man Mad

al.whatmough
Alumni

@lenny_1962 I need to jump in here.  @keith.clausen is not discounting you idea nor is he saying he will.

However, Kieth is making a very valid point.  The more you can do to show the WHY the more likely it is  for the community vote and the dev team to prioritize it.

keith.clausen
Collaborator

well said and on mark @al.whatmough

keith.clausen
Collaborator

I totally agree @lenny_1962, options are just that. We need them. I don't think the current method or option is per say prescribed as the way it has to be done but rather it is the option available and maybe it is that I've just become acustom to the current option. I too have years of experience cutting (mostly tool steels and the like) using several different CAM systems that have different options (some of which I wish were implemented in HSM). The devil is in the details though.....I've always have found the more details of the why and how variety, always got the developers thinking. Remember they (application developers) are software engineers not machinist/toolmaker/programmers with as many years of experience doing as most of us end users. 

After scanning through the "HSM Ideas" area this is something that would be good for all of us end users to remember.

Just my opinion, take it or leave it and by no means is directed at anyone in particular....just a thought.

lenny_1962
Advisor

here is where helical works for me, all the way thru leaving the tabs

why i need helical plunge.JPG

lenny_1962
Advisor

here is my other software that has helical plunge on 2D contours as well as on any of it's toolpaths 2d or 3d.

surfcam helical plunge on a 2D contour.JPG

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/ddd6d38b-6e17-4414-82f3-e41fdd95ef46

keith.clausen
Collaborator

Perfect thx @lenny_1962

@lenny_1962 How would this work with multiple step-overs?

keith.clausen
Collaborator
Correct me if I'm wrong but helix during initial entry should work, subsequent roughing pass transitions could be managed as per existing. This may end up being a heavy load cut depending on values and material. That are your thoughts @Anonymous

@keith.clausen Well the new plunge for the second pass could still be in full material that way. So that's what I'm confused about on how to tackle that. Because doing another helical plunge is not what we want I guess, since that will take up so mucht time a different operation is probably better. I mean if implemented it should not only work with in exact set of settings.

lenny_1962
Advisor

@Laurens-3DTechDraw 

I understand your concerns about the second, third and more passes for production and having HSM do a helical on all of them.

But as a prototyper not billing customers, just making parts for our students, isn't a deal breaker.

I need the parts to cut nice the first time as they will never be cut again.

I know there are others out there that are doing there own products that would not be make this a deal stopper cause a couple of minutes longer to get a good part. 

you could also make 2 operations, copy the helical and turn it off in the second, not like we have to do with some of the other ops in HSM.

@keith.clausen

Yes most of the toolpathes that have helical plunges in HSM transition to a non helical entry, so I believe the developers could accomplish this feet.

For what its worth this is why I also put up the peck plunge

al.whatmough
Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

We need to archive this one for now given the current priority list + the work to implement this feature correctly.

This is not to say this isn't a good idea, simply a transparent admission that other features will be worked on before this over the next 12-18 months.

lenny_1962
Advisor

Al any word on this? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report