Announcements
Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom turning holders and inserts

Custom turning holders and inserts

I would really like to be able to use a custom insert and holder for turning so I can create turning tools like below. For now it would be ok that it is only available in single groove and single face groove (see other idea) and not in profile

beitel.PNG

26 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I don't want to create a new post, but something should be done with define turning tools. In particular, devs should take care of the boring bars.
Simulation of inside turning is very confuse, need great attention not to lead to a collision tool with material and the material with the tool holder.
You can often see this with boring small turning tools or end mills (in soft materials).
It would have been nice if the wizard turning tools is looking like wizard milling tools with import geometry function.
Please add function tool holder (import or extension) and option "tool body lenght" from tool holder.
Sorry for my English.

ID Turn.png

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi Piotr,

You are right, simulation of turning tools is not on the level that it needs to be

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

We are actively determining the future of turning tools, especially custom tools.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi @cj.abraham. My customer would be really glad to hear that.

archer6817j
Contributor

Hey @cj.abraham

Any news on this? I've been unable to use fusion for turning, though I use it (and love it) for milling. I use mostly SECO MDT tools, and fusion does not seem to support turning operations with grooving tools. The smallest button cutter I can get in a "turning" tool is .156" and my tool is .118" . Is there any reason you couldn't just allow turning with a grooving tool? I've tried "faking" it with grooving operations, but it's confusing and a pretty big handicap. 

Thanks,
Jason Hui

Prometheus Lights 

JoeWight
Contributor

Hello @cj.abraham,

I'm also very interested in this. I'm instructing over at MIT in the LMP. We're looking at moving from Mastercam to HSMWorks and the one hangup that I've found is not being able to make custom tools for the lathe. The class I support designs molds for injection molding and thermoforming. We have a bunch of custom grooving tools for making snap fit parts. I'd like to know the status of this so we can decide whether or not it's worth it to switch over starting next semester.

Thank you

cj.abraham
Alumni
Status changed to: Accepted

The first iteration of custom turning tools will be coming out soon, which will come in the form of an widely configurable "2 sided" turning insert (like diamond shaped inserts for profiling). The next stage will be to have a widely configurable 3-sided insert, which could handle the insert shown in the original post.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@cj.abraham: Happy to hear this!

JoeWight
Contributor

This is so great. Wicked excited.

For reference, here's the dimensions of the main tool I'm talking about. 

tool 7.PNG

cj.abraham
Alumni

@JoeWight what sort of geometry do you want to cut with that insert?

JoeWight
Contributor

@cj.abraham It's one of tools that we use to turn the inside of a snap fit groove in the face of our molds. We make yo-yos. We've found that this tool is the best fit to get in there. We're definitely open to changing the tooling but we need to know it works before we change everything. I'll look around for an example to post.

archer6817j
Contributor

@cj.abraham Does this mean you'll be supporting custom diameters for round inserts? I'm considering buying a new lathe that is off-brand from the rest of my machines. I'm currently using ONECNC for turning and I'd like to be able to use Fusion360, which is what I use for milling. My issue is that I can't run and turning operations with 80% of the tools I have. 

Simply allowing turning operations with "grooving" tools would instantly fix this 🙂 Even if you guys allow custom round diameters, I still can't turn with a square insert or angled parting insert...both of which I do frequently. 

Cheers,
Jason

ArjanDijk
Advisor

@cj.abraham, can you tell us where you are on this subject? I know it was scheduled to implement in Q32017. 

Can you tell us what kind of custom tool you are planning and what challenges you meet?

JoeWight
Contributor

Hey @cj.abraham, we're starting the semester with Mastercam once again but we'd be very interested in transitioning to HSM and possibly Fusion next semester if we can get this worked out. 

Any word on the custom tooling?

cj.abraham
Alumni

@ArjanDijk @JoeWight The custom turning insert tool is currently available in beta mode for an OD turning holder. Users can specify the insert angle as well as the inscribed circle or leading/trailing edge length. This is a feature in Fusion's new tool library, so the custom insert definition will appear in Fusion first and will later come to InventorHSM and HSMWorks.

The custom insert feature is currently being added to boring bar as well, and should be available to test in the near future.

custom tool.PNG

JoeWight
Contributor

@cj.abraham I'm excited to try it out. I believe the custom boring insert available in HSMworks is what we're really waiting for to get this going. The tool we use is a custom trepan tool for making face grooves. I'll post after I've had time to try this out in fusion. 

Thank you!

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi CJ,

I do no see how I can make the insert from the first post with that. What parameters do I need?

I Would like also this face grooving insert, is that possible in the near future?

insert.PNG

cj.abraham
Alumni

@ArjanDijk To turn on beta mode in Fusion, you will need to enable the text input window and use the command "cam.betamode /on".

The image you posted is like a "3 sided" insert and will be the next phase of custom inserts.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Hi @cj.abraham. I know the beta mode and already tried it, therefore I'm happy to have asked the question.

Looking at my original idea I don't think this is moving in the right direction.

What many of my turning customers need is to machine a very accurate single (face) groove with a custom insert. It works kinda the same a a custom milling tool.

I get the idea that this is creating a kind a Swiss utility knife that still does not have that simple (dxf) insert option.

Please let other Turning guys tell me that I'm right or that CJs solution solve their custom insert needs.

ArjanDijk
Advisor

Custom insert.png

@cj.abraham, do you intent something like this? But then ending in the shape of the first post?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report