Community
HSM Beta Testing (English / Deutsch)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed latest Experiments HSM Pro build - now can't connect to license server

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
rsalasidis
1428 Views, 20 Replies

Installed latest Experiments HSM Pro build - now can't connect to license server

I installed the latest build from a few days ago, and when trying to start up, I get the FlexNet License Finder menu.

I enter the License Server - not able to work. I enter Port@LicenseServer, does not work. I enter Port@IPAddressofLicenseServer, still no effect.

I rebooted, and this did not fix the problem.

I ran Inventor from a VM I have with it installed, and from there it works (did not do upgrade there - so it is running a version from May).

Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
George-Roberts
in reply to: rsalasidis

Did you take out a subscription with Inventor HSM? Just thinking it may not be eligible to run 😕
Message 3 of 21
rsalasidis
in reply to: George-Roberts

I have a perpetual license wit HSM PRO - and uptodate annual maintenance.

Also it runs from my VM

I reinstalled the HSM PRO update, and it still does not work

Message 4 of 21

@George-Roberts wrote:
Did you take out a subscription with Inventor HSM? Just thinking it may not be eligible to run 😕

Or installed Inventor HSM Pro instead of HSM 'Standard' ?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 5 of 21

No - did HSM Pro

Just to mention - the license server log - never sees the attempt

It sees my VM logging in and out, but not the workstation

Message 6 of 21

@rsalasidis wrote:

No - did HSM Pro

Just to mention - the license server log - never sees the attempt

It sees my VM logging in and out, but not the workstation

That would sound like a network issue.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 7 of 21

Tested - ipconfig reads OK, DHCP, DNS servers are OK

I can access other network resources OK, from say Windows Explorer etc

The only new thing I did was install a new NVDIA card - but Inventor worked after this card was installed, as I tested the responsiveness of the display with it. This was the first install with that card present however.

Also just to make sure, I disabled all other network interfaces (except the one that is the primary), and even moved my HyperV Ethernet connection to be shared by this primary one - that way there is no way that it is trying to connect via the wrong adapter

Message 8 of 21
George-Roberts

Hmm.. Is the Ethernet address in the .lic file the same as the one shown in LMTools? LMtools recognises all network adapters, it is worth double checking they both match up. Are you at the computer now?
Message 9 of 21
rsalasidis

I uninstalled everything (the whole application), and reinstalled - it seems to work (but I have not installed the latest update of HSM PRO).

I am checking the network in more detail however, as I have seen some packet errors on the workstation Ethernet port (10G addin card). It is possible when I changed my dual Quadro cards with the newer single one, it may have changed the air flow and cause overheating. If I notice the errors increase, I will add a fan over it to see if it helps

Message 10 of 21
rsalasidis

Back to square one - there is a problem with the update file I think

Everything was working after the reinstall

I decided once again to install the latest HSM Pro Experimental Build - and now again keeps asking for the license server, and not finding it.

Message 11 of 21
rsalasidis

Anyone else have any trouble installing the latest update?

I don't want to try it again - as it has resulted in inability to find the license server on 2 separate occations

Message 12 of 21
rsalasidis

I tried installing the 2016 Dec 6 Experimental build, and I am getting the same results as what was happening with the build 2 versions ago (I have not tried it since then).

I install the PRO license (which is what I have), the installation goes through without a hitch.

When I run, it asks me for my license server - I use 27005@MYSERVERNAME - which is the port used - also verified by LMTOOLS. It then just goes into an endless loop asking for the license server.

A few days ago, I installed Update 1 of Inventor, and it too asked for my license server - but when I entered it as above - it accepted it and proceeded to work.

(Note in my current setup, I tested the install in a VM - having created a checkpoint - when it did not work, I just reverted back to the original setup - so no harm done, but cannot get the new versions to work)

Message 13 of 21

@rsalasidis wrote:

I tried installing the 2016 Dec 6 Experimental build, and I am getting the same results as what was happening with the build 2 versions ago (I have not tried it since then).

I install the PRO license (which is what I have), the installation goes through without a hitch.

When I run, it asks me for my license server - I use 27005@MYSERVERNAME - which is the port used - also verified by LMTOOLS. It then just goes into an endless loop asking for the license server.

A few days ago, I installed Update 1 of Inventor, and it too asked for my license server - but when I entered it as above - it accepted it and proceeded to work.

(Note in my current setup, I tested the install in a VM - having created a checkpoint - when it did not work, I just reverted back to the original setup - so no harm done, but cannot get the new versions to work)

What license manager version do you have?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 14 of 21

11.13.1.2. build 173302x64_n6

Message 15 of 21

I got this non reply when I tried to issue a customer support ticket. So it looks like this is my only avenue, and so far the software does not want to recognize my server's license.

Dear Robert Salasidis,

Thank you for contacting Autodesk. My name is Nathan I have received your case for review. With regards to you being unable to install the HSM pro please visit the following link to download the software

http://cam.autodesk.com/inventor-hsm-experimental/

If you are still having issues getting the software to install please post the issues you are having in the HSM beta forums or reach out to the beta support team as we unfortunatly do not support beta software.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-beta-testing-english-deutsch/bd-p/219

I will set this case to a closed status as this information should help resolve the issue. If for any reason you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me, thank you.

If you have additional questions about this issue you may reopen the Service Request at any time by replying to this email and I will be very happy to help you.  If you experience a new issue, please log a new Service Request to ensure your questions are routed to the appropriate team.

Sincerely,

Nathan Rivera
Global Customer Support & Operations

Message 16 of 21

So 2016 works correctly, 2017 doesn't?

Did you install 2017 on a VM? Have you tried 2016 on the same VM? Does that work?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 17 of 21

2017 works as well - even installed 2017 Update 1 of inventor - that worked OK too - picked up the license no problem.

The only thing that does not work is installing HSM Pro Experimental (whichever one from the last 3), and then trying to run it - It asks for a license server, and no matter what - it does not accept it - no error message - just keeps asking for the name of the license server

Message 18 of 21
sales

Hello,

I have the same problem, support had no solution at this time.

See below, this was the email that I sent out to my local dealer.

It will behave the same way windows7 and 10.

The only good news is they released the new full version of Build 4.2.0.042 / December 14, 2016 which works, but I expect that the new beta updates will cause the same problems except they will make some changes.

The problems started on 12/16/2016
I spend 12h yesterday and came up with some results.
After double checking everything with you (Local Support), I uninstalled the complete software package, after installing Inventor HSM 2017 4.2.0.042 and applying Inventor R3 update it worked like it supposed to.

after Installing Beta Inventor HSM 2017 4.1.0.106 / November 4, 2016 which used to work in the past.
It did not work anymore.

Then I installed Inventor HSM 2017 4.2.0.042 / December 6, 2016 on top of it.
Still not working.

Then I found a trick to reset the software (Inventor reset utility is my new friend) verses uninstalling it and installing it again which takes a long time.
It worked, it put the software back to Inventor HSM 2017 4.1.0.075 / September 26, 2016
which was my original install.

Then I tried to install Beta Inventor HSM 2017 4.2.0.042 / December 6, 2016 over it.
And id did Not working anymore again.

I used the inventor reset utility again to set the software to its original state 4.1.0.075 which is now working.

Please open a case and let them figure out what's going on.
The PC is running Windows 10 64 bit.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
I tested a lot more thing port scanning and other possibility's.

So the LMN license Tool works.
I need o be able to work with the beta versions to get all the benefit of the software.

Thank you.
Mike
Message 19 of 21
rsalasidis
in reply to: sales

Here is the solution as per BJC from Autodesk support

Basically just add the environment variable ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE with a value port@IPAddrofLicenseServer

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-result/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-specify-license-s...

How to specify license servers using the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable

Jul 30 2015
Support

Issue:You want to use an environment variable to specify one or more network (FlexNet) license servers for your Autodesk products, but are receiving a -15 error when you start the program, which does not seem to be pointing to the correct license manager.
Solution:

To use an environment variable to specify one or more license servers for your Autodesk products:

1. On the Start menu (Windows), click Settings > Control Panel.
  2. Double-click System.
  3. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
  4. Click Environment Variables.
  5. Under System Variables, click New.
  6. In the Variable Name box, enter ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE
  7. In the Variable Value box, enter the license server(s) in the following format:

@server1;@server2;@server3 (where server is the hostname or IP address of your license server)
If you wish you specify a custom port for the server format the value as port@server where port is the custom port number your license server is running on. 

1. Click OK to close each dialog box.

Consider the following when using the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable to specify license servers: 

• This variable is automatically set during a client installation from a deployment that is configured for distributed servers.
  • Autodesk licensing will search all servers listed in the environment variable and will use the lowest ranking license it finds first. Refer to Understanding Cascade Licensing for Autodesk Products for more information on how products are ranked.
  • There is no maximum number of servers that you can specify, but an environment variable does have certain character limitations, which depend on the version of Windows® operating system that you use.
  • You do not need to restart your system for this change to take effect. The setting becomes valid once you close the System Properties dialog box.
  • This variable automatically overwrites the current license server settings, such as the licpath.lic file and registry cache.
  • Only products that use the ADSKFLEX.EXE vendor daemon are affected by the ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE environment variable. For non-Autodesk products that use other vendor daemons, you should contact the appropriate product vendor directly for similar variables.
Message 20 of 21
sales

Great, thank you.

Have you tried it out?

I guess will know when the next Development version gets released and Installed.

Mike

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report