Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HSMWorks 2017 R2

136 REPLIES 136
Message 1 of 137
fonsecr
3285 Views, 136 Replies

HSMWorks 2017 R2

HSMWorks 2017 R2 will be made available shortly. And just wanted to let you know in advance before I make it public on hsmworks.com.

You should have started receiving mails of the release / changes. If not, expect them soon 🙂

With the HSMWorks 2017 R2 release we have merged the licensing for Inventor HSM and HSMWorks so the products are activated with the same license for "Autodesk HSM" or just "HSM".

Please dont install HSMWorks 2017 R2 until you have gotten your new license. If you do install it you will need to revert back to the previous release to get up and running again.

The change to the Autodesk HSM license will influence our release naming for HSMWorks which is going to be a bit confusing. Historically we have followed the SolidWorks major version naming so HSMWorks 2017 would match SolidWorks 2017 and so on. But with this change we plan to keep Inventor HSM and HSMWorks on the same major versions instead. So the major versions for HSMWorks are generally expected some time around April time frame in the future. This is required to avoid confusion about the Autodesk HSM versioning in your account portals. So if you have a license for say Autodesk HSM 2017 you know it will work with both Inventor HSM 2017 and HSMWorks 2017.

For HSMWorks, this means that official support for a new major SolidWorks release will just follow with the next minor R-release that happens to be after the SolidWorks release.

It would be more confusion in the licenses versions didn't match with the individual product major versions than SolidWorks / HSMWorks not matching. But initially it will naturally cause some confusion.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

136 REPLIES 136
Message 2 of 137

René,

Would I need to update my network licenses for that as well?

And can HSMWorks R1 run on the "new" licenses?

Will we also receive new Inventor HSM licenses, I expect so.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 137
fonsecr
in reply to: fonsecr

And also note that your HSMWorks licenses will be available through your Autodesk Account Management portal.

https://manage.autodesk.com

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 4 of 137

Yes, you need to update the network license for Autodesk HSM 2017.

HSMWorks 2016 license will not work with HSMWorks 2017 R2 and forward. As a temporary solution HSMWorks 2017 R1 is using HSMWorks 2016 licenses (more confusion). But we weren't ready until now to make the switch.

In the future, whenever we make a new major release available it will require a corresponding new license. So next time to get a new license will be for HSMWorks 2018.

Edited post - since my first reply was not clear.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 5 of 137
Steinwerks

Is the new license information supposed to come from our reseller or directly from Autodesk?

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 6 of 137
fonsecr
in reply to: Steinwerks

The license will come directly from Autodesk.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 7 of 137

But does HSMWorks 2016 or HSMWorks 2017 R1 work with the new Autodesk HSM License?

So is the new license compatible with the older software?

PS. I would want to warn everybody that they probably need to update their License manager if they are using network licenses.

Described here on how this worked for me when I ran into trouble: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-beta-testing-english-deutsch/hsmworks-2017-r0-development-release...

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 8 of 137
garin

Also worth noting with a recent change to the HSMWorks and Inventor HSM subscriptions. Starting today we are migrating all current subscription accounts to include Inventor Pro, Inventor HSM add-in, HSMWorks add-in and Fusion 360 to all current HSM customers. To access these products go to http://accounts.autodesk.com and download them. Keep in mind they are tied to a single users but will allow you to use any of these products under your current subscription. 

This is what a typical subscription will look like with the various products you are entitle to. 

image002.png

Message 9 of 137
electromechanica
in reply to: garin

@garin

Does this change affect people who have perpetual licenses that are current on maintenance as well? 

I am not a monthly/yearly subscription customer, but do have 2 perpetual licenses of HSMworks (1 premium and 1 pro), that are current on maintenance.  

Will I have access to the other products as well?

Thanks,

Steve

Message 10 of 137
garin
in reply to: electromechanica

If you have HSMWorks or Inventor HSM under an active maintenance plan, your account will also be migrated to include these products. We are still undergoing migration so it could take some time before you see these in your account. 

For HSMWorks maintenance plan customers

Customers that previously purchased HSMWorks received an HSMWorks add-in

for SolidWorks. After January 9, 2017, their maintenance plan will be

migrated to also include Inventor Professional, the Inventor HSM add-in, and

Fusion 360 from their Autodesk Account at no additional cost.

For Inventor HSM maintenance plan customers

Customers that previously purchased Inventor HSM received Inventor and an

Inventor HSM add-in. January 9, 2017, their maintenance plan will be

migrated to also the HSMWorks add-in and Fusion 360 from their Autodesk

Account at no additional cost.

Message 11 of 137
Steinwerks

@garin

How will this transition be handled for Expert Elite granted licenses?

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 12 of 137
garin

Great question, looking into now and hope to have an answer for you soon. 

Message 13 of 137
brianrepp

Thx for the heads-up @garin

Hey @Steinwerks - take a look at this post from Katinka on the EE lounge, some good news there re: licenses for EE's.  Under the EE program, suites were considered one license, but with recent changes they've decided to take away the 3 license limit.

Message 14 of 137
Steinwerks
in reply to: brianrepp

Thanks @brianrepp I did see that when it was posted, but my question has more to do with whether the Inventor HSM license will magically turn into an "HSM" inclusive license.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 15 of 137

@Steinwerks it should since it's just a 3 year subscription. According to the system there's nothing special. Just is flagged as NFR.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 16 of 137

@Laurens-3DTechDraw @Steinwerks,

Would be nice if any of you could confirm once you see "HSM 2017" license in your management portal. Thanks.

René Fonseca
Software Architect

Message 17 of 137

@fonsecr wrote:

@Laurens-3DTechDraw @Steinwerks,

Would be nice if any of you could confirm once you see "HSM 2017" license in your management portal. Thanks.

@fonsecr

Will do. I would expect some kind of e-mail about it, or will there not be any?

I've checked just now. No HSM2017 in Company Account. Nor in my personal one.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 18 of 137
Lonnie.Cady

@garin

What about those who have HSMWorks but also purchased Fusion 360 Ultimate?

Would I just have to keep paying for both?

Message 19 of 137

@Lonnie.Cady wrote:

@garin

What about those who have HSMWorks but also purchased Fusion 360 Ultimate?

Would I just have to keep paying for both?

If you have Autodesk HSM Ultimate and keep on maintenance or subscription you get Fusion Ultimate in the package.

So you can drop your Fusion 360 Ultimate subscription.

If you have HSMWorks Professional Which becomes HSM Premium, you only get Fusion 360. Not the ultimate version.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 20 of 137

@Laurens-3DTechDraw Katinka sent me an email saying she was looking into it. I expect as much, but who knows? That's why I ask Smiley Wink

@fonsecr Will report when it shows up. Nothing for personal or work yet.

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report