Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion Tool Library - Presets

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Lonnie.Cady
847 Views, 12 Replies

Fusion Tool Library - Presets

I see in the Fusion tool library there is an option for presets.  How are you to access what preset you want to use when selecting the tool?

presets.png

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Rob.Lockwood
in reply to: Lonnie.Cady

making these presets exist on a per-tool basis is a mistake..

Rob Lockwood
Maker of all the things.
| Oculus | | Locked Tool | | Instagram |

Message 3 of 13

Maybe @al.whatmough can chime in and explain all of it.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 4 of 13

yes, it seems strange to see these presets when have the ability to select material from a drop down.  But now the material filters have been removed.  Maybe they are coming back.

presets.png

Message 5 of 13
Rob.Lockwood

Doesn't seem strange, presumably the work flow will be to include a feed/speed preset for each tool for each material. It's better than having a specific tool for each preset for each material, but still falls woefully short of what many have hoped for. I'd still much rather be able to generate a preset that has nothing to do with a tool, and then feed it parameters from the selected tool.. But doesn't look like i'm going to get my way..

Rob Lockwood
Maker of all the things.

Message 6 of 13
Lonnie.Cady
in reply to: Rob.Lockwood

I did not mean the work flow was strange, but the fact they removed the ability to filter by material then added the ability to assign a material to a tool.

The only filters now are for  operation, type and dimensions.  I just don't currently see how to select one of the presets or filter by material.  I am sure I am just seeing an incomplete system but was curious about the direction it was headed.

I don't think it is a bad implementation.  I understand being able to assign multiple feeds and speeds to a tool vs having duplicate tools with different feeds and speeds. 

Message 7 of 13
Rob.Lockwood

Ah, my guess is that the assignment of a tool to a material conflicts with the preset concept; using the presets, a single tool can now be applicable to multiple materials, so filtering by material doesn't make sense until a tool can be marked as usable with multiple materials.. and you're just seeing an intermediate step in the process while they test out implementing presets themselves.

Rob Lockwood
Maker of all the things.

Message 8 of 13

Apart from everything, THERE IS PROGRESS!!

(Tool Library 2.0 speaking)

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 9 of 13

Yes at a snail's pace there is a bit of progress.

I believe they want a perfect solution and will over analyze it to death to make sure it is perfect. This is a 180 degree reversal from the turning module. We all know what happened there.
Message 10 of 13
al.whatmough
in reply to: Greg_Haisley

this is BETA view of how things could work.  I will let mark chime in an provide more color.

@Rob.Lockwood sometimes I think you must have tapped out phones - you always seem to have a solid intuition on what is going on.

---------
AL Whatmough
Director Product Management - Manufacturing

Note, I love to engage on the forums. However, I spend a lot of time in meetings trying to help clear the path for our amazing team of Developers working on Manufacturing at Autodesk. So, if I don't respond immediately, it's not that I don't care.
Message 11 of 13
Rob.Lockwood
in reply to: al.whatmough

@al.whatmough wrote:

this is BETA view of how things could work.  I will let mark chime in an provide more color.

@Rob.Lockwood sometimes I think you must have tapped our phones - you always seem to have a solid intuition on what is going on.

turns out, i'm fairly decent at strategy games, too.

https://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality

Rob Lockwood
Maker of all the things.

Message 12 of 13
scottmoyse

2016-09-17_7-51-58.png

And slap bang in between a couple of badasses too. @Rob.Lockwood

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

RevOps Strategy Manager at Toolpath. New Zealand based.

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 13 of 13
Lonnie.Cady

@Rob.Lockwood wrote:

Ah, my guess is that the assignment of a tool to a material conflicts with the preset concept; using the presets, a single tool can now be applicable to multiple materials, so filtering by material doesn't make sense until a tool can be marked as usable with multiple materials.. and you're just seeing an intermediate step in the process while they test out implementing presets themselves.

A tool can be marked for use with multiple materials.  That is what the presets are doing.  You can pick a different materials and set the feeds and speed in a single tool.  Problem is there is no way to select what preset you want to use when selecting the tool.

So first we had a material filter with no way to assign a material to a tool, then a ton of sample libraries that leads us to believe the best method is to create several identical tools in different folders according to material.  Now we can assign multiple materials and there for feeds and speeds to a single tool but can't select them or filter them.

It seems almost a waste of time to try to set up an serious tool library at this point.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report