Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trivial issue, Can't do it? Move sketch to a plane created later.

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
AutoDesk99UGT
502 Views, 3 Replies

Trivial issue, Can't do it? Move sketch to a plane created later.

Trying to do something simple again... I created sketch 1 a shape I wanted created later in another object.

Created a 2nd sketch.

Created a 3rd sketch and lofted between 2nd and 3rd.

patched the ends (they are 3 bodies)

1st sketch is in the MIDDLE of the resulting solid.

Tried extruding (cut) from there up and out of the top, but it can't seem to figure that out...  and doesn't cut out anything.

So, I want to do something trivial, I select the sketch and move plane (to the plane of the 3rd sketch, which, only and idiot would remove as available planes to move to... POOF!  all gone! )

My ONLY option is to move it to the plane that it is already on... Nice.  I guess I could recreate another construction plane in the sketch 1 timeline or before, maybe create that plane first.  I tried dragging it on the timeline to sooner, but yeah, obviously, that makes sense, so no, that doesn't work.  I can see the plane but not use it.

I would think that I could just extrude up from the center to the top and that would work just like any other object, but that doesn't.

I'm not even sure that I have one solid body - because it is 3 bodies in the system.. I tried doing a 'combine' of them into a single body, but well, that doesn't work for them (select all three and do combine - no luck)

Sigh

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
davebYYPCU
in reply to: AutoDesk99UGT

Ok, the 3 orange bodies are not solid.

Everything you want to do will work if you loft the 2 sketches with the blue icons.

Extrude cut will then work as expected.

SldLft.PNG

Because the solid workspace is not turned on, you are chasing your tail, when using orange icons, in the surface area.

That area is good for other work, but not yours.

Might help....

Message 3 of 4

@AutoDesk99UGT - The solution that @davebYYPCU provides should be good in this situation.  But I want to respond to your (slightly abusive) question here:

"So, I want to do something trivial, I select the sketch and move plane (to the plane of the 3rd sketch, which, only and idiot would remove as available planes to move to... POOF!  all gone! )"

You are experiencing a basic attribute of history-based parametric modeling:  You cannot refer to objects created in the future.  In your case, your sketch was created at time A.  You cannot move this sketch to a plane created at time A+n.  Why?  This limitation is created to prevent you from creating circular dependencies.  A simple example:  Say you have a sketch with a rectangle.  Then, an Extrude of that rectangle.  If you were allowed to move that sketch to the end face of the resulting solid, you would create a situation where the solid depends on the sketch and the sketch depends on the solid.  Not possible to compute that.  If you can roll back the timeline to a point before the sketch, and create a plane at that point in time, you will be able to redefine the sketch plane to that new plane.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 4

Well, that makes sense...

It would cause a temporal paradox  🙂

Suggestion: So, the solution is to popup a message to the user that says that in order to do this, I'm going to have to create a copy of this plane as a step right before this sketch.  (you need a plane to reference, but it would be OK if you copied a plane from the future into the past, as long as you don't copy a reference to that plane) - this way, the user can do what they want to do, but it won't get updated if the future plane gets updated (express this as a message to the user)

-Chert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report