Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuttering and Freezing (Slow performance) since last update 2.0.13168?

40 REPLIES 40
SOLVED
Message 1 of 41
FusionFan3000
2291 Views, 40 Replies

Stuttering and Freezing (Slow performance) since last update 2.0.13168?

Dear all, anyone else noticing this?

I'm not sure if it's since the last update, but only within the last 1 week or maybe 2 weeks have I noticed that Fusion360 stutters/lags or freezes in these situations:

Issues observed:

• When I middle click my mouse button and drag my mouse to orbit around my model, there is a 1/4th second delay/stutter, and then it starts orbiting, after which it is smooth.
  • When in Sketch view (even if it's a brand new document with no other files open), creating lines, clicking on points, etc. has a noticeable, consistent lag throughout. I feel like I'm using a Windows 98 computer to run Fusion360 (extreme over exaggeration, but essentially it's not smooth)
  • If a document I'm working on has a component that was updated elsewhere, and when I right click->"Update to Latest Version", the green loading bar that appears at the bottom right freezes, causing Fusion360 to crash. I have to open up the task manager and it takes several tries to End Process on Fusion360 before it closes. When I open Fusion360 again, thankfully it was able to save a recovery file, though it doesn't give me a crash report to send. The second time around, if I'm patient, the "update latest" will typically work.

Specs:

• Fusion360 version: 2.0.13168
  • Windows version: Windows 10 Pro 21H2 x86_64 (19044.1706)
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
  • Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 (I updated the driver yesterday to driver version 512.95 in hopes it would fix the issue, but the Fusion360 issues persisted before and after the driver update)
  • RAM: 16GB
  • Hard Drive: nvme SSD
  • Fusion360 automatically sets the DirectX level to DirectX 11. I have never changed it, so haven't bothered adjusting it (my thinking being, why should I change it if it's always worked fine thus far?)

Notes:

• All of these experiences are vastly different from what I have experienced with Fusion360 in the past, using the exact same files and computer. (I wouldn't say any of the files are extremely complex).
  • Additionally, to my knowledge, I haven't changed anything in my setup, and everything was fine prior to a week or more ago. (actually I hadn't used Fusion360 since May 17th, prior to that it was fine).
  • CPU usage is under 30% while using Fusion360
  • Memory usage caps at around 60% or 9.4GB used out of 16GB used
  • Restarting doesn't solve the problem
  • Disk Usage generally around 1%
  • Screencast attached, depicting stuttering while orbiting and lag while in sketch view

Any advice is appreciated!

Edit: in case the screencast isn't showing up, here is the link: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/screencast/Main/Details/ce5ad...

Labels (2)
40 REPLIES 40
Message 2 of 41

I'm having these identical issues. Tried clearing cache data, a clean install of graphics drivers, and a clean install of fusion 360. It's almost impossible to do anything productive when fusion is taking anywhere from 2-4 seconds to buffer a simple square drawing on a new document. I've had zero issues up to the latest update. Following this thread in hopes that a solution is found.

Specs

Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (19044.1706)

Geforce Driver 512.95

Intel core I7 10700K

1TB nvme SSD

32GB Ram

Geforce 3070 TI

CPU usage around 10%

Ram usage around 30%

Message 3 of 41
MingweiGao
in reply to: FusionFan3000

Thanks for reporting the problem in here!

I have tried your first and second issues on my machine but I cannot reproduce them on my side.  

In order to locate the problems, can you have a try to switch to offline mode and check whether these problems are still in there? This would help us to understand whether this is related to network or not.

For the third problem,  it seems that you didn't get the crash report. Is it related to some specific dataset? If yes, can you help to provide some dataset for investigation?

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Principal Quality Assurance Engineer

Message 4 of 41
MingweiGao
in reply to: izaktokarski

Sorry to here the inconvenience. Can you help to provide your diagnostics log files? Please refer to the attached picture about how to get the diagnostics log files.

Steven Gao

Message 5 of 41
adam2DJB6

Hi,

exact same issue here. Where can I send my diagnostic files? I don't know what data it includes, so i won't post it here.
This really kils productivity.

Thanks

Adam

Message 6 of 41
adam2DJB6
in reply to: adam2DJB6

tried it with offline mode, ans no changes. Still stuttering.

Message 7 of 41
adam2DJB6

Another way to quickly test it is dragging the Fusion window arond. It's extremely stuttery (144hz monitor), whereas any other window is buttery smooth.

Message 8 of 41
FusionFan3000
in reply to: MingweiGao

Dear Steven, 

Thank you so much for your quick follow up on this thread!

Regarding the stuttering/lagging issue:

• Very interesting: after user adam2DJB6 mentioned they were using a 144hz monitor, it occurred to me that I am also using a 144Hz monitor, so I did some testing. The issue gets resolved when I drag my Fusion360 window to my 60Hz monitor (I'm using a dual monitor setup, my secondary monitor is a 60Hz Dell U2715H, my primary monitor is a 144Hz Dell S2716DG monitor). Even on a brand new document with a single sketch, the stuttering is eliminated when I'm viewing Fusion360 on the 60Hz monitor, and as soon as I drag the window back to my 144Hz monitor, the stuttering/lagginess re-appears. If I go to the nVidia control panel and set my 144hz monitor to refresh at 60hz instead, the problem does not get resolved. If I try to make the 144hz monitor my secondary monitor instead, the problem still does not get resolved.

• During the tests above, I went into offline mode as you suggested. Offline mode may have made a very tiny difference, but not really. 
  • I have attached my Fusion360 Diagnostics logs, which I generated while testing in offline mode and I had temporarily manually set to "DirectX9", though that hardly made a difference. I'm assuming the diagnostics data doesn't include proprietary or personal information, but if it does please let me know as I'd like to remove it and send it to you privately instead.
  • Regarding the freezing when updating external references/updating to latest version, I'm not sure if it's related to a particular data set so perhaps if we focus on just the stuttering issues that others are also experiencing, I can re-evaluate my freezing issue afterwards.

Thank you for your help, and I hope the information above is useful in diagnosing the source of this issue.

Message 9 of 41

Interesting indeed, I'm currently using a 165hz monitor. I have tried the offline mode as well and that didn't help. I moved the window over to my 60hz television and it runs much smoother. This is not exactly convenient on my end, but, it eliminates the stuttering. 

Message 10 of 41
MingweiGao

Many thanks for the additional information! Our graphics team did a testing on our machine but unlucky to reproduce the performance problem. Please refer to the attached video. Can you help to provide the graphics diagnostic file for further investigation?

Thanks in advance!

Steven

Steven Gao

Message 11 of 41
FusionFan3000

Dear Steven, thank you for your reply.

• Below is the Graphics Diagnostics information copied from Fusion360. It didn't export as a file, but I hope this is what you wanted:

[GPU Information]
    GPU Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
    GPU RAM: 8192 MB
    GPU Driver API: DirectX 11.0
    GPU Driver Version: 512.95
    GPU Driver Date: 05/21/2022

[Graphics Effects Settings]
    Anti Aliasing: On
    Ambient Occlusion: On
    Object Shadow: Off
    Ground Shadow: Off
    Ground Reflection: Off
    Selection Display Style: Normal
    Transparency Effect: Better Performance

[Limit effects to optimize performance]
    Off

• I have attached a diagnostics file as well
  • Lastly, here is a video where I have recorded the same steps you had shared in your video. Sorry the video appears over-exposed, it will take me time to figure out how to tweak the settings. But hopefully it's pretty apparent that you can tell that the issue is there on the 144hz monitor and immediately disappears when I drag Fusion360 over to the 60Hz monitor:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kv69ji043cbow32/Fusion360%20Slowness%20after%20latest%20update%20144hz%20v...

(It says I don't have permission to upload video, so I am sharing a dropbox link above)
Message 12 of 41
adam2DJB6

Hi all,

I have also noticed that the cursors appear different (eg. The arrow to pull surface during extrude operation) than before. Somehow flatter. Could it be that the OS erroneously forces the window to cpu rendering or similar? Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of the arrow. Will post it once i have access to my computer.

Message 13 of 41
nkloski
in reply to: adam2DJB6

I have the exact same problem as you all!  One thing I brought up in another post for you to try.  When Fusion is in the foreground, it has the stuttering problem.  If another window is partially in front of it (and Fusion is not the foregrounded app) and you hover over the toolbar for Fusion without clicking in the window, whatever you hover over is snappy and great.  Only when Fusion is foregrounded does the problem come back.  I am also on a high refresh rate monitor (ultrawide).

EDIT:  This is even evident when using apps side by side.  If Fusion is side by side with another app, but that program is the active one, Fusion's hover is snappy....but when clicked on Fusion fakes you out and becomes slow.  I guess that is the same thing I said before, but you don't need it to be "behind" another app, side by side works as well.

SECOND WEIRD EDIT:  Now this is totally weird....I tried opening OBS Studio in order to screen-record Fusion's stuttering.  And wouldn't you know it, Fusion decided to act fine and snappy, even when in the foreground!  WTH?  Why was it suddenly working?  AHA!  The only thing different was that OBS was showing a preview of the desktop in its own window, and for some reason that causes Fusion to be snappy and great even when foregrounded!  But, closing OBS immediately makes Fusion slow again.  So, I wanted to "prove" it, but Fusion is tricky and seems to be hiding its problems from being shown!  Tricksy Fusion!

Nick Kloski
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 14 of 41
MingweiGao

Thanks for providing the Graphics Diagnostics and Logs information! I have forwarded them to our development team for further investigation. Will let you know when I get any update from team.

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Message 15 of 41
ejb.roboguy

Same issue here, and just jumping into fusion! 
I have definitely experienced camera hitching and sketch delays. Not a great first experience of fusion tbh. 
My graphics & log file diagnostics are below. Hoping for a quick fix!

[GPU Information]
GPU Device: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
GPU RAM: 10112 MB
GPU Driver API: DirectX 11.0
GPU Driver Version: 512.95
GPU Driver Date: 05/21/2022

[Graphics Effects Settings]
Anti Aliasing: On
Ambient Occlusion: On
Object Shadow: Off
Ground Shadow: On
Ground Reflection: Off
Selection Display Style: Normal
Transparency Effect: Better Performance

[Limit effects to optimize performance]
Off

Message 16 of 41
adam2DJB6

Hi all, me again. Just noticed that working via remote desktop also doesn't show the issues. It's more fluid than working directly on the machine.

Message 17 of 41
MingweiGao

Hi, May I ask you to try to turn Anti-Aliasing off to see what happens? Refer to the attached picture to see how to turn off the Anti-Aliasing option.

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Message 18 of 41
ejb.roboguy

Personally, anti-aliasing stops as expected, but the camera stuttering still persists.
Message 19 of 41

Thank you Steven, some weird results:

1) I turned off anti-aliasing. There was no change in the stuttering/lagging problem.

2) I closed Fusion360 and re-opened it. (it remembers that anti-aliasing was last turned OFF). The stuttering/lagging issue appeared to be significantly improved (I'd say 50-70% better, but not perfect). The improvement was more significant when drawing lines rather than rectangles.

3) I then turned anti-aliasing back on, but the problem did not re-appear. (it's still about 50-70% better).

4) I closed and re-opened Fusion360 (it remembers that anti-aliasing was last turned ON). The problem came back.

5) I turned off anti-aliasing, closed and re-opened Fusion360 (it remembers that anti-aliasing was last turned OFF). But this time, the problem did not get better.

6) I tried to turn on and off anti-aliasing again, and close and re-open Fusion360 (it remembers that anti-aliasing was last turned OFF), and this time the issue got about 50-70% better. (again, more noticeable with making lines, less noticeable improvement when making rectangles in sketches).

In other words, turning off anti-aliasing and restarting Fusion360 sometimes makes it better (but not perfect), and sometimes it does not make the problem better at all.

Interesting!

Quick update: While drawing lines in the sketches sometimes shows an improvement, the momentary delay when initiating an orbital view with the middle mouse button is still there. And of course, the improvement with drawing rectangles, for example, is less noticeable.

Message 20 of 41
jasiekk7

I have the same. Work is almost impossible.

Change to Direct9 helps but not enough.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report