Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketching Multiple Holes

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
2herds
17135 Views, 14 Replies

Sketching Multiple Holes

I can't seem to even get started with forming Multiple holes. I can do a single hole ok, but I can' t figure out how to make the "sketch points". All the help links I looked up so far are well past the very beginning where I am. I tried making a body rectangle and tried to put 4 holes around the corners. A screen video would be helpful starting from the very, very beginning.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jodom4
in reply to: 2herds

Hey 2herds,

Sketch points in this tool refers to... well... points in sketches. When you you select Placement > From Sketch, you can select multiple points on any sketch as centers for the holes (which will all have identical properties). Here's a youtube video that explains it: https://youtu.be/tZRL-c131Ok?t=2m31s

Hope this helps!

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

Hello 2Herds,

You can make multiple holes using sketches. At the minimal level, you can create points and then use them as centre of holes...

Untitled.png

In this example I have made a sample cuboid and sketched some points on the top face of the object. These will be the markers for the multiple holes.

Untitled2.png

You can then use the hole tool. Use the 'From Sketch' option and select all the points. Define your desired hole parameters and you have multiple holes.

Untitled3.png

You can use other tools on the points to make the task quicker for multiple holes. For example, you can use the rectangular pattern tool to make a grid of points which you can use to make multiple holes.

Untitled4.png

Same procedure as before.

Alternatively, if you want your holes to follow a rectangular/circular pattern then you could try this second method:

Untitled5.png

Start off by making at least one hole. Then open the tool you would like to use, for example the rectangular tool, and select the inner cylindrical face of the hole (the inside curve of the hole). Then adjust the parameters to make your grid/pattern.

Untitled6.png

Whichever method you use, you should end up with multiple holes. Your holes do not need to go through the whole of the object for this to work. There may be more efficient and better ways, but I am new to Fusion 360 and this a quick way/workaround I have found.

I hope this has helped you

Message 4 of 15
2herds
in reply to: jodom4

Thank you, now got it working. I hate to say it but I was missing the Sketch Point operation. Most instructions I did find left out the "basics". Thanks for putting together a step-by-step procedure for beginners. 😄

Message 5 of 15
t.christian

I don't get it. I can't make these instructions work.

As soon as I click "Finish Sketch" my sketch disappears and I can never seem to make it reappear

within the Hole Tool dialog in order to select the points in the sketch to create the hools.

Message 6 of 15
davebYYPCU
in reply to: t.christian

Is the Eyeball for that sketch turned off?  Toggle visibility with the browser Eyeball icon.

You can edit a hidden sketch, when finishing it, it will still be hidden.

Might help....

Message 7 of 15
Solar-emc

does not work in 2.0.9512so much has changed, where is everything. The downside of cloud software they can move the furniture without asking you.

Message 8 of 15
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Solar-emc

What doesn’t work now?

Sketching, points, holes, visibility, patterns, 

even pushing updates works.

Message 9 of 15
clydeSHZ4S
in reply to: davebYYPCU

One problem with the "from sketch" option is that it will only make a hole in one direction! I tried to make holes using 3 sketch points but it only wants to go one way (away from the body) then complains there is nothing to cut. Doh! Entering a negative distance doesn't work either.

Message 10 of 15
jhackney1972
in reply to: clydeSHZ4S

Attach your model and let the Forum users give you some possible help.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a forum post to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 11 of 15
clydeSHZ4S
in reply to: jhackney1972

Sure, here it is. I want holes where the three points on the inner circle are, countersunk at the point as per below (achieved by using the "single hole at point" selection.)

Screenshot 2021-11-22 at 10.48.14 am.png

Message 12 of 15
jhackney1972

You did not say which side of the bracket you wanted the but since you were having difficulty, I assume you want them on the side opposite the bent flange direction.  You also did know say what size so I used M4.  If you want to use the Hole command to create Countersunk holes, you have to have the sketch points on the side of the material that receives the countersink.  In your case, all you have to do is transfer the sketch points to the opposite side of the bracket.  Model is attached.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 13 of 15
clydeSHZ4S

I though it was pretty obvious from my screenshot that I want the countersink where the point is. The point is on the backside, i.e. the same side as the flange. That's where I want the countersink. Moving the point to the other side does indeed allow the multiple hole feature to work, but it doesn't achieve the desired result. In this particular case I could have reversed the flange, but that's not a general solution. Why can a single hole go either direction, but multiple holes only one?

Message 14 of 15
jeff_strater

The "flip direction" control will change the direction:

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 4.13.56 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 15 of 15
clydeSHZ4S

> The "flip direction" control will change the direction

Thank you - that's what I was looking for.

On checking I see that the single hole option also has that button (after selection of a face) but of course it's rarely needed because the face itself usually defines the correct direction. It would be nicer if the UI was consistent with the extrusion tool (i.e. dragging the arrow would flip the direction, or negative distance could be used) but at least the functionality is there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report