Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shell issuses

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
moseydroop
435 Views, 4 Replies

shell issuses

Hello i am having a serious issues with shelling. every time i go to shell a object, fusion freezes up so that i have to close it and start over, i also have that issue when i go to edit a shell. PLEASE help!....

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jeff_strater
in reply to: moseydroop

@moseydroop, please share your model here.  Remember that Shell is a very complex operation, and if the model is large and/or complex, it can take a LONG time to compute.  It could be that the operation will succeed if you let it go long enough.  But, if you share the design, we can take a look at it and tell you what to expect.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 5
moseydroop
in reply to: jeff_strater

Here is the file. i am trying to shell it to .08 on the flat side.

Message 4 of 5
jeff_strater
in reply to: moseydroop

A couple of things I noticed in this model:

first, do you really want to shell the rails/legs of this thing?  One thing you can do is split those off into a separate body, do the shell, then add them back in later.  But, in this case, I think the real problem is the geometry on the domed end.  If you turn on a curvature analysis map, you can see that the middle of that face has extremely high curvature:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 3.20.38 PM.png

This will absolutely cause shell problems.  Areas of high curvature will produce self-intersecting offset faces, which will cause the shell to fail.  Even more important, though, is that there is some bad geometry inside your model.  If you do a section view, you can see that there is a tiny hollow right at the end of that domed face:

Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 3.36.59 PM.png

You can repair this by going into the Patch workspace, deleting these end faces, and the stray faces, and re-creating the domed face (first creating a sketch point at the dome top), stitching it all back together:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 5 of 5
moseydroop
in reply to: jeff_strater

ok thanks a lot.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report