Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting a component from the browser

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
697 Views, 5 Replies

Selecting a component from the browser

After learning yesterday that it makes a big difference if you select a component by clicking on the browser versus selecting it in the window, I have a really basic followon question [NB: I can generally do what I need to, but I'm trying learn to be more proficient with Fusion and not just kinda hack things together].

I dragged a component into my new drawing and I'd like to scale it.  What I don't understand is why I can't "select" it from the browser.  I know I can [and have] select it in the window and it works fine, but I'm clearly not understanding when you can select from the browser and when you can't

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you sure you know the difference between components and bodies? Scale only selects bodies, you can expand the component and bodies folders in the browser and select the body there but you can't just select the component.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

When I selected "scale" from Modify, the dropdown says "Scales sketch objects, bodies or components" so I misunderstood.   As you said, if I open up the component to get to a body it works fine.  Thanks!

On the other hand, I'll admit that I don't have a firm grasp of the difference between components, assemblies and tools [what combine deals with] Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
HughesTooling

@Anonymous wrote:

When I selected "scale" from Modify, the dropdown says "Scales sketch objects, bodies or components" so I misunderstood.  

That is misleading, @karina.harper  this needs looking at and components removes from the description. If you check the selection filters while scale is active components are not an option.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
HughesTooling

@Anonymous wrote:

On the other hand, I'll admit that I don't have a firm grasp of the difference between components, assemblies and tools [what combine deals with] Smiley Happy

If you're making designs with multiple bodies make sure you follow Rule#1.

And this might help with bodies vs components.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

There is a bit of history/subtlety here with the Scale command.  You can, in fact, scale components in a Direct Modeling design, just not in a Parametric design.  It's the same command, so the tool tip is the same in both modes.  Not sure which is worse - having a tooltip that includes stuff you cannot really do (scale components in Parametric), or omitting stuff you can do (scale components in Direct Modeling).  Or, we could have a really long tool tip that tries to explain this.  But yes, it is misleading and confusing, and we should fix that.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report