Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset all letters in a word

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
kevinwilcox46
406 Views, 5 Replies

Offset all letters in a word

Apologies for asking about something that is probably blindingly obvious and basic to most. I have created the word 'VICTORY' in a sketch using the text function, tied it to an arc, extruded it. I now want to create a template to precisely position each letter, once 3D printed, as they will be glued into place on a substrate. The template will also be printed, taped to the substrate and used as a guide into which I drop the V, I, C etc. I've been trying to do this using the offset tool. I seem to only be able to do this one letter at a time, by selecting it, create a new sketch > offset > select letter > offset dimension > ok > finish sketch, repeat for the other letters. I can't find a way to simply select the whole word and offset everything all at once. Once I do one letter it won't let me select any of the others. This method is okay apart from the 'O'. Once I've offset the interior, even in a new sketch I can't offset the exterior.

Also, after offsetting each letter, what I get is an offset outline of each letter i.e. it's not one block shape but a thin continuous outline.

I sure I'm making a fundamental method mistake here and would really appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Labels (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
engineguy
in reply to: kevinwilcox46

@kevinwilcox46 

Is the image below something like what you are looking to do ??

Victory.jpg

This was done by just creating the rectangular block and then using the "Combine" function used the Lettering to cut out the shapes to leave something the letters will fit into, have a look at the History/Timeline in the attached file to see what was done. Just a rough example to maybe point you in the right direction 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 3 of 6
kevinwilcox46
in reply to: engineguy

Thanks Rob, that's exactly what I want and I think I've figured out that I need to use 'shell' to create the clearance around each letter. Does that sound right?
Message 4 of 6
engineguy

@kevinwilcox46 

Hmm, yes, that would be one way, my preference would be to "Scale" the letters up a fraction before doing the "Cut" using the Combine, you can easily put them back to original size.

Or, you can go in the opposite direction by scaling the letters down a fraction after you do the "Cut", that will give you clearance as  well.

One thing you do need to remember when using the "Scale" to get uniform sizing in all direction then it is usually best to have whatever it being scaled to be centered on the "Origin" 🙂

A few ways to do it, there will be others, for example using the "Stock to leave" function to set a - (Minus) if it is available in Addative, not something I am familiar with, offset maybe at the machine ??

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 5 of 6

Many thanks Rob, home and dry now.

Message 6 of 6
engineguy

@kevinwilcox46

Glad to hear you have it sorted, enjoy  🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

regards

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report