Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No file dialogs visible.

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
HughesTooling
4322 Views, 28 Replies

No file dialogs visible.

@Phil.E 

This has come up several times. Sometimes the problem is the dialog is off screen so Alt+Space then M then an arrow key will make it jump to the mouse pointer but not this time! If the dialog was just hidden you would not be able to click on a button and have the command run, try this start insert DXF pick a plane and you'll get the open file dialog, now try clicking a button on the main toolbar and all that happens is the open dialog border flashes. If I do the same on my PC after picking the plane no dialog appears and I can just click any button and it runs so there can't be a dialog running.

I can't make a screencast as it doesn't work on my Windows 7 PC. Dialogs were working a week ago or so, maybe one of the recent updates caused this.

I've tried open, insert DXF, insert Mesh etc. and I'm not getting any of the windows file dialogs, I was able to get a dialog from the CAM workspace while posting a program but when I tried to use Open from the file dialog Fusion ended up in an unstable state and crashed.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
ryan.bales
in reply to: HughesTooling

You might have to reset default layout. I'm sure you know where it is so i'm not sure why i took this screenshot but i feel compelled to put it in.

Screen Shot 2019-10-09 at 10.30.28 AM.png

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 3 of 29
HughesTooling
in reply to: ryan.bales

@ryan.bales  No that makes no difference. Tried clearing the cache as that resets some settings as well, no difference. If I try to use capture image then on the image options dialog click OK Fusion just dims a bit and becomes unresponsive. I can click minimise maximise and the window resizes but no other buttons work, just have to close Fusion. 

This is a problem that's been reported occasionally for a few years but I've not seen it personally before. I know a clean uninstall re install usually fixes it but don't want to go down that root yet.

I can get the save as dialog using post process or set up sheet in the CAM workspace but import\export defaults in the CAM workspace have the problem. One other symptom, after trying to use import export defaults the right click menu stopped working for browser items and I can not switch workspaces. Toolbar buttons seem to work.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 29
ryan.bales

I've had success modifying the default monitor before - which only works with multi monitors. But if so, switching it from one to another often will fix it. 

Ryan Bales
Message 5 of 29
HughesTooling

@ryan.bales  The trouble is no dialog is being created. Did you read the bit above where I explained about normally if a dialog is running, off screen or on you can not click a toolbar button and have it run because the dialog's active. On this PC I can just click a button and the command runs. So this is not a problem with a hidden dialog. I don't have a second monitor either so it's not that it's on another screen.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 6 of 29

Here's a post from someone a couple of years ago that shows the exact same problem, fix was a reinstall. Seen one of these posts every couple of months, always suspicions it was just a dialog off screen but definitely not this time as I've had that problem and Alt+Space, M then up arrow fixes that problem.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 7 of 29
ryan.bales

Oh i read it, sorry for not clarifying. Fusion dialogs aren't always 'dialogs' in the traditional (read .net) sense. I think its from them being QT based and probably why a reinstall fixes it. Sometimes these errors show up in logs as QT failure or error and if this is the case it'd be in there.

Ryan Bales
Message 8 of 29
HughesTooling

Here's one of error reports. This is on an account I've created for a separate instal of fusion, you might find 4 or 5 reports from experimenting. Don't know if there's anything helpful in these.

Thank you for sending your error report CER_206032163 to Autodesk.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 29
ryan.bales

Probably not for why the dialogs are missing. But it should be in applogs (if its what i think it is)

Ryan Bales
Message 10 of 29
HughesTooling

@ryan.bales  Just tried an ordinary uninstall\reinstall and that doesn't fix the problem. Does this point to something in the registry being corrupted by an update rather than a corrupt library or program file? I've seen others say usually you need a clean uninstall reinstall to get Fusion working again in this situation so what's left behind with a normal uninstall that would allow the error to still be there.

Would my diagnostic files help with finding this bug? I can see an error about an unknown exception in process QTAplication in the logs.

20191009T172925 E Caught an unknown exception in process QTApplication::notify.		ThreadID: 7472, Function: bool __cdecl QTApplication::notify(class QObject *,class QEvent *), Line: 738

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 11 of 29
ryan.bales

This proves my theory its QT. @karina.harper and i've seen this and we wrote the article for it:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Tra...

To our knowledge a cleanup tool uninstall/reinstall is the only thing that fixes it. I'm sure @lance.carocci needs to be aware of this too. FWIW i've seen this on my Windows 7 desktop as well.

EDIT - I also logged a bug for it a while back and yes logs would be huge - defect ID is FUS-50520. @Phil.E should be aware as well.

Ryan Bales
Message 12 of 29
ryan.bales

@HughesTooling,

If you not reinstalled, can you try deleting a specific registry key first?  We are chatting about internally and it might be that fusion is stuck looking at a disconnected network drive or usb. 

Ryan Bales
Message 13 of 29
matt.pooley

Hi @HughesTooling,

To expand a little on Ryan's comment, there was an issue a number of years ago where Fusion had problems opening file dialogs if the last used location for a file dialog was on a drive that was no longer accessible (e.g. a USB drive or a network folder). We thought the problem had been resolved, but your symptoms match what was happening back then, so it is worth exploring the workaround from the time to see if it helps.

In one of your options files (%APPDATA%\Autodesk\Neutron Platform\Options\NMachineSpecificOptions.xml) there will be a setting called 'LastDirectoryOptionId', and it might be pointing to a location that is no longer valid. If you delete the line that includes this setting and save the file, it may resolve your issue. (Note : Will need to restart Fusion after saving this options file)

Regards,

Matt

Message 14 of 29
HughesTooling
in reply to: matt.pooley

@matt.pooley  Unfortunately before finishing work tonight I used the clean uninstall tool so I could reinstall tomorrow so probably too late to try the fix.

What you mentioned about the missing disk could be the problem. I usually download files from the forum to a shared temp directory on another PC, I changed the password this week and only noticed when I tried to save a screen grab to the shared directory. I have now entered the new password so it's available again but not sure if I tried any import\export after updating the password. Pretty sure I did try because I did think maybe the unavailable drive was the problem. This might be a problem I could force to test if it does cause a problem.

Did anyone want my diagnostic files? I can share a dropbox link tomorrow.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 15 of 29
matt.pooley

@HughesTooling , Thank you for the additional information. The password change is a scenario that we may not have covered when we made the original fix in this area. (After a password change the relevant folder still exists, but you are blocked from using it).

We'll get this logged in our bug database and update a Knowledge Network article so others can find a workaround until the likely bug gets fixed. If you don't mind sharing your diagnostic logs there might be a clue in there that others would recognize if they run into the same issue.

Regards,

Matt.

Message 16 of 29
Anonymous

I'm having that problem too. No file dialogs are opening. The tip with the network drive/folder was the solution for me; logged into that network drive and it worked.

Message 17 of 29
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

@matt.pooley  Seems like this is still a problem? Another post here today with an unavailable network directory. There was another post last week that sounded like the same problem but the user hasn't come back yet.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 18 of 29
slayreman

Thank you! Still an issue on 2-24-2021. I had moved the folder in the last referenced network share path, something akin to //server/folder and Fusion would not display the save dialog for DXF. Modifying this line to a valid path fixed the issue for me.

Message 19 of 29

This is still an ongoing issue:

Also note: In my case, I am using BitLocker(Windows Drive Encryption) on some of my auxiliary drives. When BitLocker is locked (ie. after a restart or before the drive has been initialized) Fusion acts as if the directory were deleted. 

Message 20 of 29

I am having this issue as well, no Save dialog box is opening when trying to save a DXF - is the proposed solution to uninstall and reinstall Fusion?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report