Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert SVG Locking Up and Crashing

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
hankmcknight
390 Views, 10 Replies

Insert SVG Locking Up and Crashing

Hi,

I am trying to insert a .svg file that is 859kb.  It will insert after a while but after I get the size I need it just locks up when I try to extrude.  It is a deer scene wall clock to be cut out on my cnc router wanting it to be 25" x 15".  I have included the .svg file.

Thanks,

Hank

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ryan.bales
in reply to: hankmcknight

The short answer is that this SVG will run poorly. There are 26000 lines in the single sketch. Many of which are nearly zero length segments. This also results in about equal points at 26000. Meaning you have a massive sketch with a ton of objects. Its possible that you could clean this up in Fusion, but its sketching engine really isn't designed for cleaning up 2D line work and sketches like this. (it lacks simplification tools and those that can combine large quantities of objects and purge null or nearly null segments/points - many in this sketch are lines at .001" long) 

Disabling profiles will help, but i'll be honest, this design needs AutoCAD, not Fusion 360 to clean up first. Even when or if you get the sketch working, that many lines and points in CAM will likely cause contour selection problems and overall finish on a CNC router may be poor. I can try to look at it in AutoCAD and see if it can be cleaned up in a bit.

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 3 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

I converted the file to Bezier with V-Carve.

Try it.

günther

Message 4 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

In my view, fusion is only "suboptimal" for such tasks. I say this although I have been a convinced Fusion user for more than 6 years.

Applications like Artcam or V-Carve were developed for this purpose. Artcam was taken out of the race by Autodesk, so that as far as I know, only V-Carve currently meets the requirements.

günther

Message 5 of 11
ryan.bales

I totally agree with that @g-andresen, i think the hard part is it wasn't ever designed for it.

Speaking as Ryan the user and not 'Ryan at Autodesk' I hope someday we can get some validation and sketch cleanup tools in there. 

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 6 of 11
hankmcknight

Thanks for the replies I did not receive an e-mail that anyone responded.  Just happened to be looking around today and found the responses.  I will try the V-Carve conversion tonight.  I really like Fusion 360 it's just not working on this.  I can open and make my g-code in Estlcam but I want to change the clock face which I have been able to do now but when I Extrude it just crashes the program.  Being that I am using as a Hobbyist I can not export in a format that Estlcam or any of my programs can use.  

Message 7 of 11
hankmcknight
in reply to: g-andresen

Thank I will try tonight.

Message 8 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

The basic problem is too high a level of detail in vectorisation.
The development is shown here.

reduction.png
Even with a tolerance of 1mm, some manual work is still necessary, especially on the right side.

günther

Message 9 of 11
hankmcknight

Thank again just wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong.  Did I understand that I would be able to work with it in VCarve?

Message 10 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

@hankmcknight wrote:

...  Did I understand that I would be able to work with it in VCarve?

Yes!

günther

Message 11 of 11
hankmcknight

Thanks for all your help.  I guess VCarve it is.  I will subscribe tonight.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report