Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improper DXF Export Geometry

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
jason.lacoss
213 Views, 4 Replies

Improper DXF Export Geometry

I have created a model for a piece I want to laser cut.  The piece is fairly simple, basically being a rectangle with a conic curve cut out of one of the long edges.  After creating the 3d body, I used it to create a projection in a fresh sketch. On exporting the DXF to plug into my laser app (LightBurn), I found the exported DXF is not even close to the Fusion sketch. I thought maybe Lightburn was misinterpreting the file, so I uploaded the DXF to Autodesk's own online viewer.  Exact same results. Below is a snip of the Fusion sketch vs the DXF export. I tried multiple times thinking maybe something happened during the export.  Exactly the same incorrect shape every time. This shape is for a parabolic reflector, so accuracy is paramount. How would I have known if the error had not been so blatant? I'm really beginning to have trust issues with the accuracy of Fusion generated geometry.

jasonlacoss_0-1708205577138.png

jasonlacoss_1-1708205714335.png

Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: jason.lacoss

Please attach your model.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 5
jason.lacoss
in reply to: jhackney1972

There are a couple of errors for lost geometry, but nothing that should affect the export or target geometry.  The sketch I am trying to export is Sketch17. This is going to be a full-size surround for a flight simulator display, but I wanted to build a scale model first.  I projected the geometry off the end of the "U", then did a Sketch/Scale to 20% for the export.  Everything looks ok in Fusion.  It only seems to be the DXF export (specifically the conic curve) that is giving me problems.

Message 4 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: jason.lacoss

The video will outline the process of making the DXF using the Cloud instead of using Save as DXF from the Browser.  The process is a bit longer but the results are very accurate.  The video will show the creation of the DXF and it will go on to prove it is accurate.  You can of course stop the process when you get the DXF from the Cloud but I usually go on to prove the results.  As you say, it must be accurate for your reflector.  I have attached the DXF I created using Sketch 17 in your supplied model.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 5
jason.lacoss
in reply to: jhackney1972

That is fantastic.  I can't thank you enough!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report