Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to design this Nozzle thing?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
privacyspamisbad
1018 Views, 12 Replies

How to design this Nozzle thing?

Hello,

I´ve been trying to think how I can create this Thing..
  

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Its supposed to be 3D printed with quite thin Walls.

Now first I tried to follow a Video, using 2 threads and 3D prjected geometry.. this worked more or less but is far from perfect due to dimension changes.. next approach was 2 simple Sketches and a Loft, but that throws an error on one side and bulged out one plane weirdly..   

3.PNG

2.PNG

I attached my sample files as well, in the hopes someone can outsmart me and explain the best way to actually create this part 🙂

Thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

I have checked v22, and the logical way, is the surface sweep, thicken and pattern.

You have done that, so you would have to supply detail of why that is incorrect or other than desired.

Might help....

Message 3 of 13

Hello,

Thanks for the reply! @davebYYPCU 

Well it does work, as intended. I just hoped there would be a faster, better way to create it, which also would allow  easier modifications alter on (dimensions).  Im not actually sure anymore how I even created that.. but if thats the way I will try again, thank you!

I tried the 2nd way, with "V1".. which would be a lot faster overall, but gives me one "bulged out plane", on the others its fine however.

EDIT: Ok my Problem after trying to re-create it with my actual dimensions, I cant print it. The Slicer (Prusa Slicer) only exports a single pole in the middle to print, but not the actual part..

Screenshot.png

Message 4 of 13
pj-uk
in reply to: privacyspamisbad

You are trying to print a model that is too thin. Minimum wall thickness is ~0.4mm (assuming you are printing with a stock Prusa printer). Increasing the thickness to 0.5mm will generate the following.Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 09.36.43.png

Message 5 of 13
privacyspamisbad
in reply to: pj-uk

Hello,

Oh ok I didnt know that was the restriction.. thank you!
Ok that works for this process then, with surface sweeping, thicken and pattern. 

But is there a way to adjust the upper edge of the surface while sweeping? In the original part, the top edge is curved with the whole "wing", which I dont get with my method.

test_working_wrong_top for sample

----

I still do like the Loft (test v1 from original post) method a lot more (because it gives me the exact Shape I want): create Sketch, copy it to desired height, then rotate upper Sketch and finally use the Loft Feature, except one side is always "bulged out" or, it doesnt even let me finish the Loft because its intersecting itself 😕

test_loft for sample

thanks!

Message 6 of 13

You could modify the Sweep with a Guide rail, but if Loft is complaining, no point in modifying the Sweep either.

After the Pattern use an external Revolve Cut, on all.

Might help....

Message 7 of 13

When making symmetric things, it's almost always best to create just one of whatever-it-is, and then use the pattern tool at the end to duplicate the bits.  In your case, create just one wing first, then do a circular pattern of 3 to join them together.

To get consistent thickness, it can be a good idea to use the "surface" environment, then later-on use the "thicken" operation on it.

To join things neatly, it's usually a good idea to use fit-point-splines (e.g. for rails) and adjust the end control lines to be parallel to the join.

I did a nice screencast of all this... and then my mac crashed. sorry...

Update - the screencast survived!

https://autode.sk/3GB3cKY

Message 8 of 13
OceanHydroAU
in reply to: OceanHydroAU

Idea (see screencast https://autode.sk/3GB3cKY )

Message 9 of 13
OceanHydroAU
in reply to: OceanHydroAU

(helps to click the "Insert" button... https://autode.sk/3GB3cKY ... maybe)

Message 10 of 13

Hello,

Thank your everyone so far for your help! It truly helped 🙂

The sweeping Solution is kinda advanced to me, which wouldnt be a problem.. but Im also not able to apply a Fillet to the Surfafe like @davebYYPCU suggested. I have not tried the revolve cut though.

I  found a different sweeping approach now howevwer, which is a lot easier and works perfectly fine!

However, I also found out the Part Im trying to create is tapered, and now that is something I really dont know how to even start...

I attached the Part with my last try, this is as good as I get it, but lacks the tapering (taper would be 10mm to the outside bottom to top).

Now I would think thats still possible with the sweeping tool, but Im not sure anymore.... maybe anyone knows a good way?

Thanks a lot!

Message 11 of 13

and just in case it was unclear.. this is roughly what I mean, by tapered:

The same Part I posted in Post #1, but with different diameters top/bottom.

test.png

Message 12 of 13

Edit Sketch 1 to make one leg of the profile reach 90 diametre.

Edit Sweep to take new single blade profile.

Edit Sketch 3 to cut off the unwanted. 

Edit Revolve for new geometry.

Fillet the top edge, or incorporate more curves in Sketch 3.

Pattern two more blades, and Combine Join them.

edtrevDB.PNG

Might help....

Message 13 of 13

Hello,

Thank you very much @davebYYPCU !!
That was a great way to me 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report