Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Loft With A Curve?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
glencandle
578 Views, 12 Replies

How Do I Loft With A Curve?

I have a large profile being lofted down to a smaller profile.  The loft is linear but I would like the effect to be curved (i.e. the second pic below). I'm not sure rails is what I'm after, but I also don't know how to achieve this with a sweep.

What would be the best method to pull this off?

Screenshot 2023-11-11 171735.jpgScreenshot 2023-11-11 171844.jpg

[For clarity: instead of the top being a straight grade down to the bottom, it would roll gradually and then get exponentially steeper toward the bottom.]

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
jeff_strater
in reply to: glencandle

Is this what you are looking for?

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 7.16.41 PM.png

I used a rail to get this.  It is in Sketch4 (see attached)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 13
glencandle
in reply to: jeff_strater

This is almost it, thank you, I didn't realize it could be that easy.

I am, however, having an issue with the curved face it seems to create in the middle of the downward ramp.  Is there any way to keep this face flat?

Notice the ridge down the middle:

Screenshot 2023-11-12 200814.jpg

Message 4 of 13
glencandle

The curved face is easier to see in a section analysis:

Screenshot 2023-11-12 201110.jpg

Message 5 of 13

@glencandle 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

Why not a simple Extrude?

Message 6 of 13

Hi, I did post a project file originally, and now the issue I am referring is based on the file that Jeff just posted above. 

Doing a loft with rails gets me close, but there is the strange curvature I mentioned.  

When you say simple extrude, to which step are you referring?

Message 7 of 13
jeff_strater

Interesting.  I do not see that curve in the model I posted.  Here are a couple of cross sections:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.52.12 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.52.33 AM.png

and, I do not see the crease, either:

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 9.54.24 AM.png

Now, the side walls are curved, but I think they have to be to meet the requirements as I understand them.

re-adding the model FYI

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 13
glencandle

I apologize for the confusion, I forgot that I actually did work on the file:

In your file the face at the end of the cavity was curved, so I added a rail to straighten it (see below).  But for some reason the addition of the rail added the ridge I mentioned above and I'm not sure how to get around it.

Project file attached.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 100027.jpgScreenshot 2023-11-13 100045.jpgScreenshot 2023-11-13 100107.jpg

Message 9 of 13
jeff_strater

Try this version.  I added more rails (and removed the original one).  4 total rails.  Basically, that is the main lever you have in Loft - adding rails.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.19.19 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.19.27 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-13 at 11.19.38 AM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 10 of 13
g-andresen

Hi,

No loft needed

günther

Message 11 of 13
glencandle

Rails on the sides!  Oh man it's so obvious now that I'm kicking myself for not going there.  Thank you, after this interaction I have a much greater understanding of rail logic now.

Message 12 of 13
glencandle
in reply to: g-andresen

Thanks for this, I also accept this as a solution.  More than one way to skin a cat!  I never use the Surface tools, and I'm still not totally clear on how they work, but after flowing through the timeline and the sketches you've made it does make a kind of sense to me.  Extruding a line to make a surface is an interesting solution and one I've never considered.

Message 13 of 13
g-andresen

Hi,

Here is another model that uses planes instead of surface bodies for extruding to an object and additionally a concave channel profile.

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report