Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reduce the file size and face count of a soli body

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mohammad_arfin
91 Views, 2 Replies

How can I reduce the file size and face count of a soli body

I imported a .stl mesh file in fusion360 in order to convert it into a solid body and then simulating it in another software which accepts only .step solid body cad file. Since, the geometry was very complex (a gyroid infilled cylinder), it had many mesh elements, however, fusion360 managed to convert it into a solid body, but the number of faces were very large and probably because of this the file size was very large, around 450 mb. It is not even opening in SolidWorks and therefore the software where I have to simulate this CAD file fails to process such a large file. Also, given that it has way too many faces, it would require very large amount of time for the simulation to complete, if it progresses. Therefore, I want to reduce the number of faces assuming that it may reduce the file size and computation time. Is this true, if yes, how can I reduce the file size and face count from my CAD body. I tried doing the generative design>modify>remove faces, but it is not able to process well, first few faces were deleted but after that fusion360 started misbehaving and hanged. Is there any other way round? I tried to attach my file here, but the limit is 71 mb therefore couldn't. 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
g-andresen
in reply to: mohammad_arfin

Hi,

reduce the faces

reduce.png

günther

Message 3 of 3

@mohammad_arfin wrote:

I tried to attach my file here, but the limit is 71 mb therefore couldn't. 

@mohammad_arfin 

How big is the original stl file if you zip the file?

Why not create as native geometry in Fusion 360 so that you do not have a faceted model?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report