Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generative design export not able to create history

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
298 Views, 3 Replies

Generative design export not able to create history

Hi,

I've already tried 2 times to export a result of a generative design study and, although the results are correct, I need to modify some parts of them. To do so, I need to go back in the history to the organic form, but I can't as the only thing I have is the base form. 

I've seen some posts in the forum talking about this but I haven't found a solution. Is there?

Labels (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Ben-Weiss
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous ,

Good question! Normally, when you export a generative outcome for an organic shape*, you see a design history consisting of two base features (preserves & obstacles), a T-Spline Form, a Boundary Fill, and a Combine:

Normal design history.png

And every once in a while you see only a base feature (this is what I think you are seeing):

Single base feature.png

Converting a generative outcome back to a parametric design is tricky business. Most of the time we get it right, but sometimes the system chokes on the geometry for any of a variety of reasons. In these cases, we use a fallback method that creates only a single base feature (without a full design history). It's not perfect, but it's better than a complete failure without any usable geometry at all. Sometimes this happens due to some subtle aspect of the generative setup you created, other times it's hard to pin down a cause.

In summary, you didn't do anything wrong, and unfortunately there's no easy way to "fix it" and get back to an editable T-Spline feature.

Hope that helps,

Ben

* You get a different parametric recipe for some manufacturing constraints (2-axis cutting and 2.5-axis milling) which make geometry with sketch/extrude instead of T-Splines.

Ben Weiss
Senior Research Engineer
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Ben-Weiss

That makes sense as I recognise the structure generated is one of the most complex things I have ever done. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Ben-Weiss
in reply to: Anonymous

I'm glad I was able to clarify what's going on, even if I can't get you back that design history!

Ben

Ben Weiss
Senior Research Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report