Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely high CPU use and laggy performance

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
childjacob2
284 Views, 2 Replies

Extremely high CPU use and laggy performance

The Problem: I am using an extrude cut to put some text (55-75 words) into a solid body and experience really high cpu usage and slow performance. This also happens when moving the body, selecting something, or saving the file. The cut specifically thinks longest before the cut preview shows up, and once I tell it to perform the cut it thinks for a long time at 87% completed. Portions of the Fusion screen/menu also occasionally go black.

Background: I am on a laptop with i7 - 10510U cpu, 16gb ram, and intel Uhd graphics. I optimized the graphics settings for performance, and this helps with rotating and viewing the part, but not with any operations. I later put this body and 6 other similar ones in a file together and then made a "tree" (for investment casting) combining them all. Operational performance also really struggles there (for example combining the bodies). 

Attempted Solutions:

-Turned on optimized graphics under the help and graphics diagnostics menu -> this helped with rotating in the viewport, but not with operational performance

-Used windows graphics settings and set fusion to high performance -> same results as above

- Closed all other running things -> still lags (maybe less, but not too discernable)

- Task Manager showed me that it is essentially purely cpu usage that spikes, monitoring gpu usage seems to stay well below a critical level (a max of .7gb/8gb allotted to intel uhd, this was when other things were also running)

All of the above shows me that this is likely more of a pure cpu issue? Is there anything I can do to help with computational time? Is my cpu just not good enough? (my heart really doesn't want this as I love my laptop and believe my cpu to be crazy fast, but my head says this is likely the case)

Picture description- cpu graph, the spike on the left up to basically 100% was the cutting operation, you can see a baseline before and after. It was working at about 4 GHz during the spike. 

Picture 2 description- my geometry, it is a model of "plates" (like a book made out of thin sheets of metal) that scriptures were carved into from my religion's history (comeuntochrist.org). The small lines were made from a set of 2 different sized pages combined together, patterned up, and then all the resulting bodies combined again, so there are a large number of faces and edges, however only 1 body. The solid body clearly has a decent amount of detail already, but not on the face to be cut. PlatesScreenshot.jpgCPUScreenshot.jpg

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
sutherland-
in reply to: childjacob2

Hi @childjacob2 

Are your drivers up to date?

Reduce Effects:

Avoid performance pitfalls:

• Avoid unnecessary capture position snapshots. If more than one is made while moving a component, delete all but the last one for any particular component move. When possible, use joints instead.  
  • Avoid unnecessary body moves. Design the bodies in place when possible.
  • Define components early. Create them in place.
  • Avoid building up "Remove Instance" features. If using a pattern, edit the original pattern to remove the part.
  • Be careful about inserting linked files with many bodies and components. Graphics performance will suffer eventually. See the "Reduce Effects" section about optimizing graphics.
  • Avoid unnecessary references between components. Use origin reference planes or work-planes based on the origin rather than convenient but illogical connections.
  • Pattern components instead of mirroring or using copy/paste.
  • Fix errors when they happen. This can add up during compute cycles. 
  • For long timelines, use Compute All to run a complete check on the health of the timeline. 
  • If possible, avoid small details in large designs. This includes fillets, embossed/debossed texts, or hardware fasteners (screws/bolts). 
  • Explode Text in sketches.

Please click on Accept Solution so other community members can see how to solve the issue.
Also, consider giving a Like to the comments that you feel helped you.

Best regards,
Level  sutherland-

Message 3 of 3
MingweiGao
in reply to: childjacob2

This is an interested case to cut so many letters. Did you have a try to cut them via several cut operations? If possible, can you help to share the dataset to us for further investigation?

Thanks,

Steven

Steven Gao

Principal Quality Assurance Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report