Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create a plane through 3 points using points on a mesh?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
NotJordansime
349 Views, 2 Replies

How do I create a plane through 3 points using points on a mesh?

Hello,

I have an STL of an Otter (aircraft) that I need to split so that it can be 3D printed. I first tried converting the model to a body, but this crashed fusion 360 every time. I then tried using construction planes to split the model where needed. Problem is, I'm having trouble aligning the planes to points on the model. When I try to use the "plane through 3 points" feature, the only point it lets me select is the origin. Can I manually add "vertex points" to points on the mesh where they're needed, or is there some better way of doing this? 

The image Otterside shows where I would like the plane aligned. The image otter3points shows where I would put the points if I was able to place them at vertex edges on a mesh. The video shows that I am only able to select the origin as a point for my plane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is a gift for my friend's boss who is retiring soon. 

Labels (4)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

You can sort of do this, in the "Edit Feature" mesh environment.  You cannot snap to mesh vertices, but you can pick a "mesh point" which is on the mesh, and you can get pretty close by zooming in.  Since meshes are fairly inaccurate anyway, often this is sufficient.  See the screencast below:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/f8f5b784-737a-4a05-89b4-52886328e63f 

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 3
JDMather
in reply to: NotJordansime

@NotJordansime 

Can you Attach the original file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report