Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Component - Break Link: Leads to broken joints

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
engineering3QDQ5
207 Views, 1 Reply

External Component - Break Link: Leads to broken joints

I produced a scenario that can be rapidly reproduced as follows:

1.  Create a unit box (1x1x1 Box) and add a Joint Origin. Save as uBox.
  2. In a new file, create a 2x2x0.1 plate at the top tier.
    1. Insert Derive uBox and joint it to the plate without using the Joint Origin.
    2. Insert Derive uBox a second time.  This time joint it to the plate using the Joint Origin.
    3. Create a Joint Origin on either uBox
    4. Save as PlateBox
  3. Create and save the file test-PlateBox.  Insert "PlateBox" as External Component.  In this file Break Link and you will lose the Joint Origin that is created in PlateBox (step 2.3) and you will lose the Box-Plate Joint that does not use the Joint Origin (step 2.1).  You will retain the Joint from (step 2.2).  See attached Images. 

In my actual work, I am working with sheet metal fabrication where are have various bend profiles that are yet to be finalized and are subject to change.  I am using the Insert Derive, so that I can extrude the bend profiles to their desired length while maintaining links to the original bend profiles for modification purposes.  Furthermore, I piece these together in a subassembly, which after breaking the link in the final assembly I adjust to its final length.  It is problematic to rebuild all the joints, since I will have dozens of these final assemblies.

Work around:  In the meantime, I answered my own question on a work around.  I have to build joint origins into all of my subcomponents before Insert Derive.  Then use these Joint Origins exclusively when joining subcomponents to one another.  Furthermore, I want to avoid Move/Align since Joints tend to give me better scalability.

Before Break.pngAfter Break.png

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

I tested my work around from the initial post.  Although the work around allows the joints to be maintained, extruding to objects then breaks afterwards.  It is therefore not a useful work around.  I am looking for help/suggestions on how to resolve this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report