Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting STEP files

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
14009 Views, 16 Replies

Exporting STEP files

I am unable to export assembly STEP files. Only individual assembly parts can be exported as STEP files.

Assembly consists only of parts modeled on Fusion 360 .

This message appears when I try export entire assembly:

"Local export is not supported right now for distributed design"

Thank you

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Although the warning flashes up it's about exports to f3d files, the export to stp should still work. It works OK on my PC, what are you using. 

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

Here are steps I take trying to export assembly STEP file.

1-Open assembly on the screen2-Upper left corner right click on assembly name3-Box appears with options4-Click on EXPORT5-EXPORT box appears on the screen6-In Fusion files STEP file is chosen7-Safe to my computer-DOCUMENTS is chosen8-I click and this message appears- 'Local export is not supported right now for distributed designs" I have no problem exporting individual assembly parts.All assembly parts were modeled on Fusion
Message 4 of 17
HughesTooling

I see the problem using your steps. Instead use export from the file menu and it should work.

@jeff_strater Not sure if I reported this before, seem to think I might have. Right click the main component in the browser and select export, it will fail for distributed designs.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 17

Thanks, @HughesTooling.  Very strange.  The Export works from the file dropdown, but not from the right click on the root component.  Those should be identical operations.  I'll file that bug, just in case it hasn't already been filed

[edit] filed as FUS-43692

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

I appreciate suggestions and help that I have received, but my issue has not been resolved.
It is very important to me, that I am able create and export STEP files.No one attempted to explain why I get the message (below) when trying to create and export STEP files.
"LOCAL EXPORT IS NOT SUPPORTED RIGHT NOW FOR DISTRIBUTED DESIGNS"
What is DISTRIBUTED DESIGN" ?Some expert at the Auto Desk must know what is going on.As a reminder-1-All assembly parts have been created on Fusion2-Individual assembly parts can be created and exported3-Second laptop CAN NOT create STEP files of the assembly   Same message appears as shown above.4-2 laptops are running on Windows 10
5-INVENTOR has no problems, it creates STEP files of the above assembly.Thank you
Message 7 of 17
TrippyLighting

A distributed design is a design that has linked/external components in it.

If you use the export option available through the file menu as @HughesTooling has already mentioned the assembly will export fine as a .step. At least it works on my machine.

Screen Shot 2018-10-02 at 10.13.53 AM.png

EESignature

Message 8 of 17
BrandonMac
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hello, I think Fusion could not be saving to STEP format I seem to get this error message now. Step-fusion.jpg

Message 9 of 17
BrandonMac

Normally I could just get the file regarding of the error but not on this build. 

Message 10 of 17
jeff_strater
in reply to: BrandonMac

this has nothing to do with STEP export.  The error message is quite accurate.  T-Spline bodies are not exported to STEP, only BRep bodies are exported to STEP.  So, you need to convert your T-Spline (Form) bodies to BRep first, otherwise your STEP file will be empty.

This is a Direct Modeling design, so you will have to convert them using the Convert command in the Form toolset:

Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 5.23.49 PM.png

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 11 of 17
BrandonMac

Hi yes I have been converting FBX to T then to BRep in the past then to Step I guess what I am saying is it the new build that is not working?

Message 12 of 17
BrandonMac

eXPORT.jpg

Message 13 of 17
BrandonMac

Hello Sir, I posted a few replies/posts can you try to save a quad fbx to t-spline to BRep to export Step on your machine and give me the results. I believe the current build is not working. Thank you for your help.

Message 14 of 17
BrandonMac

Solved via chat. Turns out the T-Spine conversion object should be deleted then exported keeping the BRep in the Q.   ballworking.jpg

Message 15 of 17
jeff_strater

I think you may be correct, @BrandonMac - there may well be an issue here.  While, yes, deleting the T-Spline body will get you to a STEP export, I, also, believe that this used to work in the past.  That warning, if you ignore it (hit OK), should still produce a result, it did not include the T-Spline body.  Are you pretty certain that this used to work?  If so, I can pursue it further.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 16 of 17
jeff_strater

We think this is a bug.  FUS-120440 was created to track this issue.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 17 of 17
BrandonMac

" I, also, believe that this used to work "   Hi, yes it did work without deleting the T-spline converted mesh in the past as recently as a few months back.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report