Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting curves from Fusion 360 to Maya ?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
365 Views, 9 Replies

Exporting curves from Fusion 360 to Maya ?

Extremely simple task, which I thought will be a breeze, seems impossible.
All I wanted is to import dwg file into fusion360, and then export curves to maya.
Tried exporting as iges, which got me nothing, then all the other files I could think of.
Nothing.
Tried  importing into maya with various options, nothing.
Very frustrated, after something which should be basic thing.
First of all dwg doesn't import into maya which is a problem in a start, this seems to be yet another disappointment.
Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

It's possible

- Export from F360 as DWG

- In Maya Import, select filetype DWG_ATF. You can't see this at first glance, the slider to the right of the selection options needs to be moved upwards.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
TrippyLighting
in reply to: WHolzwarth

@WHolzwarth wrote:

It's possible

- Export from F360 as DWG

- In Maya Import, select filetype DWG_ATF. You can't see this at first glance, the slider to the right of the selection options needs to be moved upwards.

SO you can export a sketch curve from Fusion 360 to Maya?

Can you demonstrate that?

AFAIK Fusion 360 does not export wireframe geometry.

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
WHolzwarth
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hi Peter, first step in F360

Fusion Sketch - Export as DWG.jpg

Screencast for import to Maya:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/938482e2-fa2d-4c9e-8c7b-5ba14555d5a5

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 5 of 10
TrippyLighting

@WHolzwarth very cool!

Interesting that Fusion 360 does not export wire frame geometry to STEP format, but the antiquated DWG format.

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
WHolzwarth
in reply to: TrippyLighting

It's the same experience with STEP, Iges and SAT, Peter. I didn't test with Parasolid.

But as far as I know, DWG or DXF export is the best transfer method for F360 sketches.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for confirming my tests. The good side оf dwg export is that even the changing units doesn't change the import back to Maya. Bad side is that iges import/export doesn't work in fusion 360.
I also tested same formats without results. That is not great.
I've sent the feedback. To me it's unclear why they don't work on this. Maya, Max, Autocad and Fusion360 are all Autodesk products, they really need to work on file exchange formats. While there is fbx and USD formats, still no luck with curves with obvious formats for them.
Even obj format should support curves and it doesn't. Trying to export obj failed from Fusion360.

Message 8 of 10
WHolzwarth
in reply to: Anonymous

Your problems are not Fusion specific. Independant from the used software (Fusion, Inventor, Rhino or others), STEP, IGES, and SAT mainly export solids or surfaces. If a surface or solid exists, in some cases sketches are included, too.

Normally I can find a way for tasks like that, but sometimes I need testing.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Actually this is just the issue with the applications, not the formats itself.
Simple as that.
Reasons might be different, like people are not asking for it, or similar, but as the programs are getting bigger and bigger they have more and more holes and bugs.

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Yet another issue, which is important are layers.
After importing, curves are there, layers are there, but they lose the connections between them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report