Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Easy way to get plan view drawing of an angled part

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
rick1million
252 Views, 3 Replies

Easy way to get plan view drawing of an angled part

Making a plan-view drawing of a part is fairly easy, if the view you want is already normal to one of the xyz axes.  But if I want a plan-view drawing of a part that is at some arbitrary angle to those axes, I have not been able to find an easy way to get a drawing normal to the face.  The drawing interface is no help in this case, because you have to choose from standard angles.  If for example, the face of the part that I want the drawing view to be normal to is at, say, a 57 deegree angle relative to even just one of the axis, I see no easy way to get a normal view in the drawing world.  You can use the "look at" command to get the normal view I am looking for to show on the screen, but see no way to communicate this view to the drawing world.  There has to be an easier way than to start defining user coordinate systems all over the place in order to accomodate getting normal-view drawings of parts angled relative to the 3 main drawing axes.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jhackney1972
in reply to: rick1million

Once you get your view you want in the Design Environment, right click on the Named Views entry in the Browser and choose New Named View.  Name it anything you like.  When you create your 2D Drawing, this view will be available as one of your default views to select for placement.

Named View.jpgNamed View 1.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 4
rick1million
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you very much for the information. While the solution does work, it is far more cumbersome than it should be, as is the drawing interface, overall.
Cumbersome and time consuming since if I have say a hundred parts, all at a little different angle, the solution seems to say I would have to make a hundred named views. Seems like there should be a one-click solution tied to say the "look at" command, where you click once at a face and, boom, make the drawing view normal to this face.
Message 4 of 4
jhackney1972
in reply to: rick1million

Since my post solved your question, please select the "Accept Solution" icon to do three things. First it allows others to find a solution to a similar question, two, it closes the Forum post and last, it acknowledges that you accept the solution given. If you need further help, please ask.

The design of of Fusion 360 is not within my control as I am a user such as yourself.  You do have the ability if any of your components join together, at the save view, to make one Named view, then hide the components in the drawing thus cutting down on the number of named views.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report