Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG data clearly in file in Fusion Web, nothing when opened in Fusion 360

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
mcramblet
877 Views, 14 Replies

DWG data clearly in file in Fusion Web, nothing when opened in Fusion 360

I've had this issue a couple of times, where we are trying to rescue old data from a DWG file and when the file is uploaded to Fusion via a web browser, I can clearly see both the 2D and the 3D data. Regardless of what I try, I can't seem to get that same data to open in Fusion 360. I've downloaded, used the Desktop Connector, etc., but whatever I do, I can't seem to get Fusion 360 to open what I can see when viewed in the web browser. Is this a limitation of Fusion 360 or is it possible that I'm just not going about it in the right way. I would assume that if I can see it via Fusion in a browser that the data is capable of being converted to something that Fusion 360 should also be able to see and use. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to the screencast that shows what is in the file when viewed on the web, but nothing is coming through in Fusion 360.

<iframe width="640" height="620" src="https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/12a6747d-5b72-4b14-ac2a-9824d35ae548" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen></iframe>
Labels (1)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
HughesTooling
in reply to: mcramblet

Have you got a DWG you can share, lot easier to figure out with an example. What's missing in Fusion, 2d or 3d info. Pretty sure all model space info imports into Fusion OK, could be a problem translating paper space or drawing space info. This would be missing 2d data.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
mcramblet

Yes, here is the latest file where I've seen this issue. I also updated the post to have a link to the screencast, which for some reason didn't make it into the posting the first time.

Message 4 of 15
mcramblet
in reply to: HughesTooling

To answer the question; in this case, all of the data is missing. In Fusion 360, that only thing that I can see is a single point. Some data shows up in the tree, but nothing is visible.

Message 5 of 15
ryan.bales

Were this a 'normal' DWG comprised of AutoCAD objects i'd say it should work. But i opened it in AutoCAD and its mostly comprised of 3D line work and Proxy objects of an unknown origin to me. They would appear to be 3D surfaces but i highly doubt Fusion has mapping to convert an unknown proxy surface. 

Proxy objects aside the 3D linework would present enough trouble as they are across multiple planes on a single layer. Meaning Fusion will try to convert each layer to a sketch and that sketch may contain 3D objects - this ought to work but would take a long time. 

I dug a little deeper - no 3D line work, just appeared that way. The proxy objects may be converted polymesh faces. But i see no way of correcting them in ACAD. 

Ryan Bales
Fusion 360 Product Support
Message 6 of 15
mcramblet
in reply to: ryan.bales

I do know that these files are from an older CAD system that we no longer use, definitely not coming from AutoCAD, which perhaps explains the odd nature of them. I can only see the 3D linework on the web, but I'd be happy with that. If I could get what I see in the browser in Fusion 360, that's really all I'd need.

Message 7 of 15
ryan.bales

Yeah i dont see anyway of making that happening as is. Let me test exporting it and seeing if the data will export. 

Ryan Bales
Message 8 of 15
ryan.bales

That didn't take too long. I'm not able to export it as anything. The proxies do not convert. Do you know where they came from? 

Ryan Bales
Message 9 of 15
mcramblet
in reply to: ryan.bales

Yes, I just asked and we do know where these were generated. The came from AutoCAD Mechanical Desktop, which we used way back in the day. So these came out of that system sometime in the late 90's through the early 2000's.

Message 10 of 15
mcramblet
Message 11 of 15
ryan.bales

Its mostly if something like AutoCAD Mechanical will open them. Give me a bit and i'll see if i can get it installed and try again. 

Ryan Bales
Message 12 of 15
mcramblet

I'm installing a trial version of AutoCAD, to do some playing around, too.

Message 13 of 15
mcramblet

So, when I open this is AutoCAD 2022, I get a whole host of "missing application" warnings. The "AutoSurfServices" show the correct number of 26 surfaces that make up what I want in this file. Is this AutoSurfServices around anymore? It's not listed on the AutoCAD Object Enabler Assistant webpage.

Message 14 of 15
ryan.bales

If its not listed i doubt it's around. But it could be part of the mechanical toolset.

Ryan Bales
Message 15 of 15
mcramblet

I'm starting to think that this isn't worth any more looking into. I was hoping that it was a relatively simple issue that I was overlooking, but it's obviously more than that. I'm just going to report back to a few people that I work with that Fusion 360 being able to open and convert any of these old DWG files is going to be totally dependent on exactly how they were saved years ago and it will be a hit or miss situation. Even if it there was a method to open these files, it probably wouldn't be worth the time and expense of maintaining a seat of AutoCAD Mechanical for a few files over the course of a year. If there is any more info, I'll certainly take a look at it, but in the grand scheme of things, there are more much important issues. I'm just going to consider this case "closed". Thanks for your input @ryan.bales.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report