Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensions change

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
PetePayne
588 Views, 5 Replies

dimensions change

Hello!

I have a file that I created in another software (BCC)

I have save it as 2 different types of files.

one was an IGS file the other was a STP file.

I saved them to a thumb drive  to move them over to my new computer.

Once loaded into Fusion360 , all the dimensions have changed.

Any idea as to why???

For example  a circle that was a radius of .473"

it changed to a radius of .019"

All help is appreciated .

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: PetePayne

Can you Attach your STEP (*.stp) file here.

Are you using mm in one software and inch in Fusion?

Message 3 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: PetePayne

I'd guess the program producing the stp file is not setting the units information and Fusion is using mm for the translation. So it thinks the circle is .473mm or 0.018622". 

Fusion can read unit info in the file if it's there, just seems like your files are unitless. Don't think Fusion has any preference to override it's default so you'll need to scale it up by 25.4,

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
engineguy
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling

@PetePayne

@TheCADWhisperer

It does appear to be a Fusion glitch/setting, I have tested both .STEP and .IGES files from two other softwares and what seems to happen is that whatever the Units set in "Preferences" as the Default then those are the Units that will be used  when the file is opened in Fusion.

Doesn`t matter if you have already set the Document Settings to say Inches and your Default is MM then any file will be shown in MM, you need to open the file and then change the Document Settings Units and it will then be OK.

Hope that helps a little, it is a small thing but it is a glitch in Fusion not anything wrong with the files being uploaded to Fusion that I can see Smiley Happy

Regards

Rob

Message 5 of 6
HughesTooling
in reply to: engineguy

Attached is a file created in Rhino using an inch template, the cylinder is 1.0". When opened in Fusion it will be 25.4mm if you have your preferences are set to mm and 1.0" if inches so Fusion can read the info if it's there. I've tested exporting to Rhino and Fusion also sets the units in the file.

Clipboard02.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6
PetePayne
in reply to: HughesTooling

Hello all!
I could not get it sorted , so I re-sketch'd it I'm Fusion.

Thanks for all the help and reply's !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report