Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital debris / phantoms in .step file

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
hanumara
355 Views, 8 Replies

Digital debris / phantoms in .step file

I am working with a multi-part .step from a vendor and the cover of the enclosure has some weird zero-thickness triangles popping out if it. I can select them, but not manipulate them, and trying to delete them causes Fusion to crash hard. When viewed in Autodesk's online viewer they are not present. The file is a "clean" download from the vendor site.

(Note that the cover is Body3, while Body1 and Body2 are some features that are somehow separated from the main body. This appears to be a separated but unrelated issue with the vendor's CAD.)

Might someone have any ideas as to the cause? A temporary fix to just hide them would be appreciated too, since I have to make some renderings today.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 123432.png

Labels (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MRWakefield
in reply to: hanumara

Are you able to post the .step file here so we can investigate?

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Message 3 of 9
hanumara
in reply to: MRWakefield

Silly me, I thought that the file would be too big! Posted now!

Message 4 of 9
MRWakefield

Ok, how's this (see attached)?

The original looks fine in SolidWorks 2024 so I re-exported it then checked that it looked ok (at least superficially) in Fusion.

Try it and let us know if you still have problems.

If this answers your question please mark the thread as solved as it can help others find solutions in the future.
Marcus Wakefield

I've created a Windows application for creating custom thread files for Fusion. You can find out about it here. Hope you find it useful.

Message 5 of 9
hanumara

Marcus - this great! It looks good now. 🙂

A few questions, at the risk of wearing out my welcome mat:
- Do you know a good way to swap the cover into an existing model? I don't want to just replace the entire box, since I have drilled holes and built an assembly inside that references interior geometry.

- Were you able to replicate the issue in Fusion?

- If so, do you think the issue was the file, something funny with Fusion or both? (This problem seemed to just pop up with models that we were already working with.) I want to flag the issue with the vendor if it is indeed their issue.

I greatly appreciate your bail my butt out help!

Nevan 

Message 6 of 9
MRWakefield

Sorry, I had to pop out to to run an errand.

You can export the lid as a .f3d or a .step etc. Right-click the lid in the tree and select "Export..." You can also use "Save Copy As").

MRWakefield_1-1714330849975.png

Then pick your chosen format etc.:

MRWakefield_2-1714330992949.png

You can export it to the cloud, your computer or both.

You can also use "Insert Derive" then "Break Link" if required.

MRWakefield_0-1714332713238.png

Yes, I saw the same anomalies when I opened it in Fusion.

MRWakefield_0-1714330532423.png

I can't really say where the blame lies! I'll try to open it in other apps to see what conclusion I can draw.

Find lid attached.

Marcus Wakefield

Message 7 of 9
MRWakefield
in reply to: MRWakefield

Looks good in FreeCAD as well so it's looking like an issue with Fusion.

MRWakefield_0-1714331387460.png

Marcus Wakefield

Message 8 of 9
hanumara

Marcus - 
I was looking for a "replace" as there is with Fusion native components, however, bringing in the repaired cover worked perfectly and the coordinates were preserved. 🙂

I greatly appreciate your care in helping BMBO (bail my butt out!) on a Sunday. And don't apologize for stepping out for a break!

Warm Regards,
Nevan

Message 9 of 9
MRWakefield

No problem, you're welcome, I'm pleased we found a simple solution.

BTW, I tested an export of the lid from FreeCAD and that looks ok in Fusion as well, so at least that's a potential solution if you come across similar issues in the future.

MRWakefield_0-1714338309031.png

Glad I could help.

Marcus Wakefield

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report