Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex SVG/DXF Alternatives for Performance

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
thespaltydog
410 Views, 13 Replies

Complex SVG/DXF Alternatives for Performance

I'm trying to create a sign based on a design I built in Affinity Designer 2. I exported the file as an SVG and DXF file, but any edit I try to make, like scaling, completely bogs Fusion. I was on an older laptop and was due for a new one, so I chalked it up to that and got a new machine with much more power, but I'm still running into this issue. 

Is Fusion just not good at handling SVG or DXF files? My SVG does have a ton of points, but that's because of the detail. I don't think I can go through and remove many of them without changing the design. Is there another alternative file or method I can use for fusion to better handle this?

Labels (5)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
g-andresen
in reply to: thespaltydog

Hi,

1. What do you want to do with it?
2. What size should the image be scaled to?

günther

Message 3 of 14
thespaltydog
in reply to: g-andresen

I'm trying to do some test cuts on my machine to determine the final size. But the total width of the sign will likely be between 24 and 36 inches wide. I've found if I don't move anything or try to change the SVG it does fine, but that means I need to get it inserted at the proper size and in the right position at the beginning or I have to do it again.

Message 4 of 14
g-andresen

Hi,

uncheck profile and points in your active sketch palette

günther

Message 5 of 14
thespaltydog
in reply to: g-andresen

Okay, I did that, but whenever I try to move or scale the sketch, I need to select it, and all of the points reappear, and then it bogs down again unfortunately.

Message 6 of 14
davebYYPCU

Create a body from the sketch, scale the body without the sketch, 

Might help….

Message 7 of 14
thespaltydog
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I might be missing something. It won't allow me to select the sketch whenever I try to extrude. If I do thin extrude it allows me to make the selection but then throws and error and won't actually do it.

Message 8 of 14
davebYYPCU

Sorry I can’t test the file, no desktop till end of the month.

Message 9 of 14

The only way to scale an SVG file is right after you insert it, there is a percentage scale. For example it is "1"  or 100% when you bring it in. And the SVG files seem to come in at different scale than what they began as.... So here is the solution to scaling.  You can set up your grid to mm and then 1/10 mm which is a pretty accurate ruler. When you insert the SVG under INSERT simply count one of the sides, say the height of it.........  For example  if the SVG comes in at 40,4 mm in height and you want it to be 240mm  That is approx 5.94 larger.... you get that by dividing 240 by 40,4 = 5.94.... so  first you begin it in and count the grid height to get its height and .... check out video... If you want to scale it smaller of course ....  if 40.4mm comes in and you need it  to be 30mm then you divide 30 by 40,4 and get .742 approx and you would then use .742 instead of the "1"

Message 10 of 14
Message 11 of 14

ok sorry this should be the video not the blank ones

https://www.screenpresso.com/=ZyxHd

Message 12 of 14

@thespaltydog I noticed the sketch does not contain any splines or circles, just lines. Do you have any options for how the SVG or DXF is exported, if you can export splines and circles it will be a lot easier to work with.

You can select the sketch in the browser and scale the sketch. Also if you put the sketch into a component you can move the component a lot easier than trying to manipulate the sketch geometry while editing a sketch.

You can see in this image I've scaled the sketch and position using a joint in the timeline. I created another sketch with the square for reference. No editing the sketch in the sketch environment. See attached file.

Clipboard01.png

Mark.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
g-andresen

Hi,

In the screencast I show how to scale the sketch parametrically.
Important: Deactivate profiles in the sketch palette

günther

Message 14 of 14

Just for reference I opened the sketch in Rhino3d and it contains over 5,000 line segments! 

HughesTooling_0-1705744424071.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report