Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move a file

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
timothyhinessr
1401 Views, 12 Replies

Can't move a file

In my data panel, I have a project called vises and fixtures.  Inside that, I have a temporary folder that contains a design that I want to move to a different project folder.  When I right click and select move, the only folder that comes up is the temporary folder the design is in.  I've moved numerous designs around trying to organize and have been able to move them all except this one.  I've played with it for an hour and am out of ideas.  I'm pretty new to Fusion 360 and struggle with the file system.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Phil.E
in reply to: timothyhinessr

Thanks for posting.

What sort of account do you have? Free, startup, education, etc.

Is there any message showing like "basic access" or "term expired" on the top bar of Fusion, near the right side?

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 13
timothyhinessr
in reply to: Phil.E

I have the full paid version and was assured by customer service that it was properly installed.  There are no messages displayed.  As I wrote originally, I've moved numerous files without any problems and am only having the problem with the one file.

Message 4 of 13

The installation could never cause this.

Can you please show a screenshot of the folder and its contents? There might be a clue in that.

Could you try making a test design, just a simple box, and saving it to the same folder. Can you move it?

Does the design have links to any other project or design?

Message 5 of 13

It won't let me save a new design directly to the temporary file.  I also created another folder in the same location called temp file.  I can move a new design from the My Recent Data project into either of these folders and back and forth between them but not out of either to some other project.  If I try to copy a design that's in either folder the only options for where to copy it to is the folder it's already in or the other one. (see screen shots)  I'm not sure if the design is linked to another project but I did import the design into another so I could create soft jaws to hold the part for the back side op.  I clearly don't fully understand how the file storage system in Fusion works and obviously did something wrong.  I hope what I've provide here helps.  Thanks. 

Message 6 of 13
Phil.E

This is the key clue:

"It won't let me save a new design directly to the temporary file."

This indicates you don't have permission to write to a new folder. Are you the owner/admin of this hub?

Also, just so you know, My recent data is not a project, it is a filtered view of all data recently worked on, from any projects. It's just a view.  The only issue with using that view is it removes the context of the actual projects the different designs are in. Placing designs side by side in the Recent list that do not live side by side in your actual projects.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 13
timothyhinessr
in reply to: Phil.E

Yes, I am the owner and only user.  So is there some way to move this file out of the folder it's in or not?  Do I need to speak with a customer service representative by phone to get this done?  I obviously don't fully understand Fusion's file system.

Message 8 of 13
Phil.E

At this point yes, you should contact support. This isn't anything I've ever seen and this conversation is not helping you get your job done any faster. The reason I engage with threads like this is to help customers, and at the same time look for bugs to report to development. Not being able to save a design into a folder you just created seems really odd, and it's not a report I've ever seen TBH. They can help get to the bottom of it with you. I'm sure there's an explanation.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/contact-support

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13

I have a "for personal use" copy of Fusion 360.    I have the same issue as posted.

"Move" a design file only offers me the current folder.  "Save as" offers me a project tree.

<Edit>  However, while it gets around an administrative annoyance, it loses the version history, which is not great.

Fusion 360 version number v2.0.9011

Message 10 of 13
prichas
in reply to: harmez6H4G8

I have a recommendation.  Please upgrade to Fusion Team by selecting the Create or join team option in the datapanel.

prichas_0-1605744366131.png

This will bring up a wizard to perform the upgrade.  This upgrade is free to everyone, even if you have a personal subscription.

We will be soon be asking everyone to upgrade to Fusion Team this next year.  So, might as well do it now.  It is painless...

Also, because we have settled on one data platform location (Fusion Team), we have more functionality available.

One of these features is allowing for designs with external references to be moved to other projects.  This is not supported in single-user storage.

Moving designs without external references to other projects are supported with single-user storage.  This is the reason why it worked for some of your design moves.

Message 11 of 13
timothyhinessr
in reply to: prichas

Thank you prichas, I will give that a try.

Message 12 of 13
timothyhinessr
in reply to: prichas

It appears that did the trick.  Thanks!

Message 13 of 13
Jaeger1787

I have exactly the same problem of being unable to move some files to a different project or folder.  (Not sure what the difference is as far as Fusion is concerned as 'project' has two different usages in the application.).

I have a number of Projects/folders as shown here:

Jaeger1787_0-1621250955633.png

In the 'Import Solidworks' folder, I have three files that inadvertently have been saved there by mistake - again no idea how or why.

Jaeger1787_1-1621251054010.png

None of these files can be moved as the Move dialogue box does not show any other folders:

Jaeger1787_2-1621251127877.png

I followed the advice to create a team and promptly all my folders/projects disappeared, taking ten minutes to find again.  What bright spark came up with this 'teams' idea and what benefit is it to single users anyway.  More to the point, how do I move these files to the desired project/folder?  It is even more annoying when originally there were five files in the wrong folder, but two of them moved with no difficulty.

Please advise.

Keith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report