Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug? Mix of mm and cm in drawing dimensions...

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
louisvantonder
374 Views, 7 Replies

Bug? Mix of mm and cm in drawing dimensions...

Hi Guys.

I have a weird one...

I have designed a component with quite a unique custom shape. When adding this component to a drawing, I need to basically "block" the component with a sketch in order to get proper dimension locks (do determine how to draw the shape from the plan). I cant snap to the component corners, as I need to work from a rectangular material base.

(This is a unique shape of a tiar case slat, that I have to draw and cut from a rectangular wooden plank).

Problem:

When I "decorate" the component with a drawing, and I snap dimensions to it, some dimensions are in cm...

It looks like dimensions snapping to the sketch are in cm, and dimensions snapping to the component are in mm.

When editing the dimension, it definitely is set to mm, but a dimension (snapped to the sketch), of 70mm, shows on the drawing as 7.0 (not 70.0)

Dimensions snapped to the component are however, showing correct as mm.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue.. Is it a bug? or am I doing something stooped?

Also, is there a better way to accomplish setting up dimensions for my custom shaped component?

Labels (4)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Please attach your MODEL, not drawing, so the Forum users can take a look.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section of a forum post to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 8

I exported just the stair slat component in question. Please see attached.

I also added the entire model/project.

Message 4 of 8

Hi @louisvantonder 

It looks like you are dimensioning a drawing sketch and a drawing view.

Drawing sketches are  always 1:1 and on top of the sheet. Your drawings views (which I assume are at 1:10 in this example) are scaled and dimensioned accordingly. Although you can add dimensions between view geometry and a sketch, you will notice that these dimensions are disassociated, this is because the sketch floats on the sheet and is not fixed to the view.

The good nest, is that there is a simple workflow to get what you are looking for. Simply put the sketch into the model and turn on it's visibility in the drawing (see animation below). This also has the benefit of being parametric and updating with the model.

2022-02-10_06h41_27.gif

Message 5 of 8

@ClintBrown3D , thank you for your explanation.

That actually makes sense. Now I can rest easy that I am not going mad after all 😉 .

I have tried your suggestion, but even when making my sketch visible in the drawing, it does not show on my drawing.

I made the sketch directly on the surface of the component, and my main visibility on the sketch node is made visible, all the other sketches are invisible except the one I want to work with. This, however, still does not show my sketch. I have also tried toggling it on and off as in your video, but no joy.

What am I missing?

Message 6 of 8

Hi @louisvantonder 

Make sure that you save the model, then update the drawing (yellow triangle, top left).

You should then toggle the sketch on in the drawing environment.

Message 7 of 8

@ClintBrown3D thanks for your reply.

I have made sure my drawing is updated, and tried to toggle everything on and off again. Still no joy.

I have in the meantime seen I can actually get the dimension tool to lose its orientation lock on angled corners, and lock to a vertical direction, which gives me exactly what I want.

I am not sure why my sketch isn't showing, but I've come right with what I was trying to do, regardless.

Thanks again for you help.

louisvantonder_0-1644489574330.png

Cheers
Louis 

Message 8 of 8

@ClintBrown3D , whilst working on one of my other pages of my drawing, I noticed the "sketch" in question showing up there.... but still not in the actual page where I had the component/sketch issue. Maybe I should just have removed and re-added the single component to the drawing.

Regardless, thanks for your help, I'll be sure to do it that way in the future!

On a separate note:

Thanks for providing a decent answer and not one of those generic (out of a manual somewhere Microsoft type of responses).

It's SUPER refreshing to see an official of a product, actually taking interest in things that its users have difficulties with. Thanks for that. It's a rare treat for me.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report