Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug? Coincident constraint not working on endpoint of offset line

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
GRSnyder
699 Views, 24 Replies

Bug? Coincident constraint not working on endpoint of offset line

Take a look at the attached file. Your mission is to make the lower endpoint of the arc coincident with the right endpoint of the lower (offset) line by applying a coincident constraint.

Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 4.33.40 PM.png

It initially seems to work. But in fact, the arc endpoint ends up constrained to the lower line, not to the endpoint of the line. To see this you can either select the coincident constraint and see the entire line highlight, or you can drag the construction line up and down to demonstrate that the arc endpoint is easily separated from the end of the line.

This is consistently reproducible.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
jhackney1972
in reply to: GRSnyder

It sounds like you are dragging the arc endpoint to the lower line endpoint using your mouse.  If you use the Coincident sketch constrain instead, and pick the end point of the arc and the endpoint of the lower line, it will joint the arc and the lower line, as it should.  You will not be able to separate them by dragging anything.  It will not add a tangent automatically however.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 25
GRSnyder
in reply to: jhackney1972

@jhackney1972 wrote: It sounds like you are dragging the arc endpoint to the lower line endpoint using your mouse.

I've tried every option I'm aware of for adding that constraint: dragging the points together, activating the Coincident tool and selecting points in either order, and selecting points and then activating Coincident. For me, they all produce the same result.

Have you actually downloaded the file and tried it?

Message 4 of 25
g-andresen

Hi,

works as described by   @jhackney1972  r

coincident  circle to line.gif

günther

Message 5 of 25
jhackney1972

Yes I downloaded my model and tried a couple of methods.  As far as I could tell the Coincident function is working correctly. 

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 6 of 25
TheCADWhisperer

@GRSnyder 

Why do all of this extra work rather than simply use Sketch Slot command?

Message 7 of 25

@jhackney1972 @g-andresen 

Did you really try it?

TheCADWhisperer_0-1710936116219.png

Message 8 of 25

Works for me, can select the pints in either order. The in on a PC with Win 10.

HughesTooling_0-1710936703616.png

Edit OK should have read the original post a bit more carefully. Yes after adding the constraint you can drag it apart. Looks like the end point of the arc ends up only constrained to the line, not the end point.

HughesTooling_0-1710936931295.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 25

Error, see following post.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 10 of 25

Yes, I always test a supplied problem before posting a reply.  I did not see any issues with his model and the Coincident worked normally.  I am working on a Windows 10 laptop.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 11 of 25

@jhackney1972 

Attach your solution file here.

Three users in this thread have reproduced this reported issue from the original file.

Two users in this thread have reported no issue but have not Attached proof.

Message 12 of 25

Attached in my file.  I see no issue if I also add a Coincident constraint to the center of the circle and the construction line which would be a normal practice in this model.  If you do not add this, you can separate the entities due to the center of the circle moving but the coincident stays intact on the one plane.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 13 of 25

Redundant constraints should not be needed.

The point of the original post is that the points are not coincident constrained.

Dragging shows a point-line coincident “solution” not point-to-point as made with the selections. And if then try to add the coincident between points again Fusion reports that it already exists.

Looks like a bug in the sketch solver to me.

Message 14 of 25
GRSnyder
in reply to: g-andresen

@g-andresen wrote: Hi, works as described by   @jhackney1972  r

Does it? You did not check to see if it applied the correct constraint as described in the OP.

Screen Recording 2024-03-20 at 1.12.00 PM.gif

Message 15 of 25
GRSnyder
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

@jhackney1972 wrote: I see no issue if I also add a Coincident constraint...
@TheCADWhisperer wrote: Redundant constraints should not be needed.

Agreed. Should it not in fact be impossible to apply the extra constraint (arc center to construction line) because the model is already fully constrained? (Just to be clear, you can add that constraint in this test file, but only because the rest of the sketch isn't fully constrained and the original constraint isn't working correctly.) An arc with two fixed endpoints and a tangency constraint at one end is already fully constrained.

I don't think the problem is with the behavior of constraints. The problem is that the wrong constraint is being applied by the UI. The arc endpoint ends up constrained to the bottom line, not the bottom line's endpoint.

Here's an example where the lines are Fixed and not Offset. The arc endpoint constraint is correctly applied and the arc turns black because it's fully constrained. You cannot then constrain the arc center to the middle line. If you try, Fusion 360 just says "the sketch is overconstrained." (Just to be clear, this is an example of what I would claim is correct behavior. The arc endpoint ends up constrained to the line endpoint, and then the arc is fully constrained. If you just draw two parallel lines, it also works correctly. It's only (as far as I know) in the case of Offset lines that it starts to misbehave.)

Fixed.gif

Message 16 of 25
GRSnyder

A couple of people have asked, "Why aren't you just using the Slot command?" The answer is that this is a bug report, not a how-do-I post. This is a test case simplified to demonstrate the bug with as little extraneous material as possible.

That said, in the actual application, the centerline of the slot is a spline. If anyone knows a better way of constructing a spline-shaped slot (that is, better than offsetting twice and adding end arcs), I would in fact be interested in that.

Message 17 of 25
HughesTooling

@GRSnyder Although I agree this is a bug, how are you actually creating the arc? I tried a using a 3 point arc and just using the line tool and click, hold and drag and both of these methods create a joined arc. Worked on your simple example and with offset splines. File's attached.

HughesTooling_0-1711015929522.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 18 of 25

@jhackney1972 wrote:

...constraint to the center of the circle and the construction line which would be a normal practice in this model.  

TheCADWhisperer_0-1711022569225.png

@jhackney1972 

In this similar example (two parallel lines) I don't have to constraint the center of the circle.

Merely add the Coincident between points as in the original problem description...

Message 19 of 25

I came to the same conclusion as @HughesTooling.  While the original situation certainly looks like a bug, there are ways to get the desired result.  3 Point Arc seemed to work for me, as well.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 20 of 25
GRSnyder
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling wrote: Although I agree this is a bug, how are you actually creating the arc? I tried a using a 3 point arc and just using the line tool and click, hold and drag and both of these methods create a joined arc.

Those work for me, too. I had originally been adding center-point circles at the ends of the midline (with one of the offset endpoints as the point-on-circle) and trimming away the half I didn't want. Oddly enough, that picked up both coincident constraints and one tangent constraint. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report