Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre sketch bug

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
urnotryan
746 Views, 15 Replies

Bizarre sketch bug

Super annoying bug here that is actually making Fusion 360 unusable for me right now.

When working in my sketch, I cannot edit the dimensions of a sketch object once a constraint has been added to a feature - even though the dimension should not be constrained at all.

Please watch the screencast to clarify.  You will see me try to change the dimensions on a few ellipses and rectangles.  You will see that the dimensions of shapes that have a constraint to some geometry can no be edited (even though they should be).  You will see me freely change dims on shapes that are unconstrained, but once I constrain them to some other geomety, the dims are locked, with a bunch of bogus errors.  Oddly enough, after adding a geometric constraint, you will notice I can set a dimension once, but then I cannot edit it (even back to the original dimensions!

You can imagine this makes it near impossible to make any edits.

This seems to be a straight up bug.  I haven't made any changes to my system that would explain why I can't edit files that were working fine previously.  Not sure if there was an update over the last few days that could have caused it.

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
g-andresen
in reply to: urnotryan

Hi,

screencast missing.

Please try again.

günther

Message 3 of 16
jeff_strater

also, add the model.  Most likely, even if the screencast were added, we'd need the model to further investigate

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 16
urnotryan
in reply to: jeff_strater

Added.  I stripped it down to just the sketch so it should be able to find exactly what I'm talking about.

Message 5 of 16
urnotryan
in reply to: g-andresen

weird, I had the link pasted in the box.  Oh well, added now.

Message 6 of 16
urnotryan

This is such a specific problem with such a basic issue... I was hoping this was a shoe in for getting some help here.  Still hoping my only option is rebuilding my files from scratch.

Message 7 of 16
jeff_strater

you still have not provided the screencast.  The model is there, so thanks for that, but without knowing what you are doing, it's hard to offer help.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 8 of 16
urnotryan

Not sure what to tell you... I've added the screencast twice... it's showing up before I click post.... trying one more time here...

Message 9 of 16
urnotryan

Message 10 of 16
urnotryan

If it doesn't work this time I give up.

Message 11 of 16
jeff_strater

Apologize for the slow response.  I took the rest of Sunday off, and then got caught up in Monday tasks.  Thanks for the screencast, @urnotryan - it helps a lot.  Yes, there seems to be a solver bug here.  Something about being coincident to that particular geometry is causing an error, even with a very simple geometry like a rectangle.  I was able to reduce the sketch a bit and still reproduce it.  We will investigate further.

Nice to see another fan of the political gabfest, as well.  In fact, I was probably listening to that episode Sunday instead of investigating this...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 12 of 16
jeff_strater

more info.  I created bug FUS-77020 for this.  But, in the process of trying to investigate this, I found that the error is really telling us something useful.  When you get these solve errors, you can click on the listed constraint, and it will get selected.  It is supposed to auto-zoom into that area, but as you can see below, this is another bug - it zooms WAY out instead.  But, if you hunt around a bit, you can find the offending constraint, and if you delete it, things behave much better.  I don't understand why this particular parallel constraint is a problem, but deleting it does seem to cure the issue:

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 13 of 16
urnotryan

Thanks for looking into this and having patience with my inept attempts to post the screencast. lol.  Quite an embarrassing set of messages regarding that - and I meant to clip the beginning that showed the podcast screen but when I finally  posted it I was beyond caring.  I am certainly not going to begrudge a fellow friend of the pod for stepping away from things for a couple days 😉

I suppose it is good to confirm this as a bug and that there was not some simple solution I was missing, but this has been popping up pretty frequently (or some variation of it claiming there are errors due to constraints or geometry that have no reason to cause conflict), and going through the errors to delete constraints (some of which are necessary and I need to replace afterward) is really killer to workflow.

Is there a way to track progress for the resolution of a specific bug? I have about reached my maximum level of frustration with Fusion for now, and I think I'm going to switch over to some projects in different software for a bit, but it would be nice to monitor it so I can have some assurance that my sketches will stop locking up and making changes a huge hassle.

Thanks again for the help.

Message 14 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

@urnotryan wrote:

I suppose it is good to confirm this as a bug and that there was not some simple solution I was missing, but this has been popping up pretty frequently 

it would be nice to monitor it so I can have some assurance that my sketches will stop locking up and making changes a huge hassle.

I will make a significant wager that you will continue to see issues using this sketching technique.

You have unnecessary duplicated geometry in your sketch.

Pattern features, not sketch elements.

I could very significantly simplify this sketch.

Message 15 of 16
urnotryan
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I agree with what you are saying in a general sense, but in this application having a base sketch with key relations all in the same place optimizes workflow and makes edits much easier.

Even if you think the sketch can be simplified, I think you would agree that this is hardly an incredibly complex sketch.  I do not think it is unreasonable to expect Fusion to handle this without random errors popping up for no reason.

Message 16 of 16
TheCADWhisperer

@urnotryan wrote:

I think you would agree that this is hardly an incredibly complex sketch.

I disagree.

In all of the parametric modelers I use - that is not the best technique to use.

Based on my experience there is a much easier way - both for the designer and for the software.

It would take more effort for a complete explanation than I am motivated to explain (I am lazy), but I doubt I am wrong in this case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report