Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying metallic logo onto curved surface

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
611 Views, 9 Replies

Applying metallic logo onto curved surface

I'm trying to figure out a way to apply a metallic logo onto a curved glass surface. For the logo, I imported the SVG and extruded it by .01" so I could apply gold material to it, but getting it to conform to the curves of the glass is frustrating. It's a twisted polygonal shape.

Instead, now I'm trying to convert my structure to sheet metal (as posted recently in "Pattern around a curved surface" and in this thread, "Converting Surfaces to Sheet Metal"  ) to make a pattern, but I'm not having any luck so far. My form isn't cylindrical but a twisted polygon column. When I try to convert the faces to sheet metal I get the error "Unable to calculate body thickness. Make sure the input body is valid for sheet metal". Is there a way I can make a new sheet metal object from the original sketch? Is there a better way?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

V

Message 4 of 10
wmhazzard

I could not get the sheet metal to work, apparently Fusion does not recognize twisted sheet metal as having a bend so it won't unfold.  What I did was project a sketch from your letters then modify the O to cut off the top and bottom projections. I then used the sketch to split the face of the jar which was tedious, I forgot that the insides of the letters need to be cut before the outside otherwise the cut won't work. Once the face was cut I could offset the faces of the letters. Here is a file. 

Message 5 of 10
TrippyLighting

Is this what you are looking for ?

Your workflow is messy at best. You use unconstrained sketches an it is easy to accidentally destroy the design.

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.06.58 PM.png

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Yes, that's exactly it. Thanks for letting me know about the unconstrained sketches. I'm new to 3d modeling, and I'm still learning my way around fusion.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: wmhazzard

Thank you! I'm glad there's a way to do it without using sheet metal. I'm new to fusion so it helps a lot.

Message 8 of 10
TrippyLighting

@Anonymous the solution @wmhazzard provided is indeed a intel tedious.

Instead of projecting sketches onto surfaces in many cases working with surfaces is actually a better choice. In this case it makes for a fairly quick workflow.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
wmhazzard

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you @TrippyLighting! I've been trying to learn about projections, but have been finding them rather confusing. I needed to adjust the logo and and this method made it easy. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report