Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z Height Off Over 2"

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
taylorX5GHV
170 Views, 2 Replies

Z Height Off Over 2"

Hello, I am new to Fusion and recently purchased a new to me DMS 5-axis CNC.  I am learning both the software and machine at the same time.  I am coming from an AVID CNC with Mach 3/Vcarve.  

I have been able to get the machine and software working together pretty successfully except for one detail.  The Z axis is almost always off.  I say almost because on my 6" long bit it is pretty close to where I want it, but when I switch to a spoilboard bit, which I use more often, it is over 2" too low.

Bear in mind that I purchased two sets of tool holders, and they are different in length.  I have dimensioned the toolholders and paired them to the appropriate bits but I still have this frustrating issue, which requires me to artificially raise the z0 location in order to mill a part. 

I have an automatic tool changer, but no automatic tool probe.  Per the machine instructions I zero the nose of the spindle to the spoilboard surface, then zero the tip of the bit to obtain the tool length which is then input to the tool offset menu.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
jscott6SWZG
in reply to: taylorX5GHV

Could you be entering a positive tool offset when it should be negative?

Message 3 of 3
taylorX5GHV
in reply to: taylorX5GHV

Do you mean in the Fagor8055 controller itself?  If so, no I have tried reversing it and it made it worse.  The odd thing is that my 6" tool is so close to being perfect, but my 2-1/2" tool is so far off.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report