Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trigonometry in manufacturing expressions

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
prettygoodnotbad
676 Views, 6 Replies

trigonometry in manufacturing expressions

In the manufacturing workspace, for an operation parameter, is it possible to use sin/cos/tan in the expressions dialog box, if I simply input something like sin(15) I get the wrong number it outputs 0.6503 when it should be 0.2588

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Phil.E
in reply to: prettygoodnotbad

Do these instructions help?

https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=GUID-76272551-3275-46C4-AE4D-10D58B408C20

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

Looks like F360 calculates in rad(ians) rather than the more known deg(rees). You'll need to multiply with Pi/180 after the angle:

value = sin[angle*(pi/180)].

I usually test in Excel with sin(30) or cos(60) which both should be 0,5.

Formula: =SIN(30*(PI()/180))

Regards

Peter

Message 4 of 7
prettygoodnotbad
in reply to: Phil.E

This article seems to be about user parameters within the design workspace. I'm attempting to use trigonometry within the manufacturing workspace. For example, for a contour operation with even step downs selected and a wall taper angle of 5 deg, in the radial stock to leave field I could do something like tan(slopeAngle) * (abs(stockZLow)-maximumStepdown) in order to offset the cut to account for the slope angle.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: prettygoodnotbad

Hi prettygoodnotbad,

I haven't taken care about the workspace you're working in; I was just looking at the calculation results from sin(x). This reminds me to the rad vs. deg thing.

I have not tried to do this in manufacturing ws honestly. Just tried to figure out why the calcs looks odd.

Regards

Peter

Message 6 of 7
prettygoodnotbad
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous thanks, I saw your message only after posting my reply. But you are correct, what worked in the end with your example is (sin(30 * (Math.PI / 180))) * 1in this output the correct value 0.5

So for the forumla in my previous post I can do:

(tan(slopeAngle * (Math.PI / 180))) * (abs(stockZLow) - maximumStepdown)

This outputs the correct axial offset to avoid machining inside the part when using a wall taper angle.

Now I'm just waiting for someone tool tell me there is a box I could have checked that would have done exactly that. 

Message 7 of 7

The functions appear to convert to the appropriate internal units if you specify the units. If you want a specific number of degrees, then just suffix with 'deg'. E.g. sin(15 deg), or sin(0.261799 rad)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report