Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool passes avoiding corner radius??

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
77_JR
560 Views, 12 Replies

Tool passes avoiding corner radius??

Hello everyone!

I hope this the the correct place to post this related issue. My apologies if it’s not.

I’m newish to fusion. I have a question regarding the cam end of the software. On my finishing passes I’m using a 6mm round tip lathe tool, there is a 4mm radius at the bottom the part where the flange starts, that the tool will avoid by moving diagonally out past the corner radius.

The corner radius on the part is larger than the radius of the cutter. Also the tool shank is narrower than the cutter, as these were my initial thoughts why this would happen.
Can someone help me understand why this happens?

I have attached images to help explain better.

DCD649A0-67D6-4319-B08F-CA6FB6A6E686.jpeg

459218D9-3BC2-47A4-B0A8-276BC554A725.png

D625C50C-489A-4888-89E0-ECFA6F1BD2CE.png

so many thanks in advance!

James

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
a.laasW8M6T
in reply to: 77_JR

If you set the holder type to Straight Profiling rather than Offset profiling it generates the correct pathstraight.png

Message 3 of 13
77_JR
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried changing the style to straight profiling and it just goes straight down.

jaybishop635_0-1693703403356.png

Message 4 of 13
a.laasW8M6T

Can you share your file here,

Goto File>Export and save as .f3d, then upload as an attachment here.

It's pretty difficult to diagnose looking at pictures unfortunately. It should be a relatively simple fix however

Message 5 of 13
77_JR

Thanks mate. Attached to this post.

Message 6 of 13
a.laasW8M6T

Hi 

I have had a play around and cannot get any satisfactory results, but I don't use turning often so I might be missing something.

I can get a single(albeit fragmented) finishing pass to work but as soon as you add multiple passes it fails, that's using no holder.

It really shouldn't be that difficult though, I could program that at the controller no problems.

@seth.madore may have some insights but may not have a chance to look at it till monday

Message 7 of 13
77_JR
in reply to: a.laasW8M6T

Im more familiar with milling as well lol. 

thanks for looking mate

Message 8 of 13
seth.madore

Two options:

1) Remove the holder from your current tool. Result:

2023-09-03_09h52_47.png

Option #2: Define your tool as a Grooving tool and use the Groove Finishing toolpath:

2023-09-03_09h53_53.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 9 of 13
77_JR
in reply to: seth.madore

Thanks man!
Shame it can’t do multiple passes using grove.
What type of tool would you recommend for this part?
Message 10 of 13
akash.kamoolkar

@77_JR you can allow multiple steps for groove finishing by setting it in "number of stepovers". As for your original issue with profile finishing I will make a ticket because the tool should be able to access that area.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 11 of 13
77_JR
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Yeah i was having a play at trying to get it to work and discovered the groove finishing features multi-passes. unfortunately whenever i use this groove finishing option the toolpath is offset in the Z direction.

77_JR_0-1693929788199.png

Thanks for raising the ticket! 

Message 12 of 13
programming2C78B

no, the blue refers to the tangential tip of the tool, not the centerline of it. Simulate it step by step and it'll become obvious. It's always a mind bender when you first get into lathe programming to see your tool going "into" your part, but it's not because of the radii. 

See how your entry/exit plane is at the "square" of your insert? (Pretend its a box and not a circle) 

programming2C78B_0-1693930958645.png

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 13 of 13
77_JR
in reply to: programming2C78B

Ahhh that makes sense!! That will work perfectly then! Cheers mate!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report