Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool Collides with Fixture Error

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
mattdlr89
876 Views, 15 Replies

Tool Collides with Fixture Error

I've programmed my part and gone back and added a fixture. I positioned the fixture in the design space and then added it to my setup. Visually it all looks as expected. When I run simulation I get a million collides with fixture because it thinks the fixture is in a different place (where it was inserted into the model before I moved it to the correct location).

What am I doing wrong? How can I get Fusion to see the fixture in the correct place. I tried regenerating all my toolpaths but that hasn't helped.

The toolpaths in question are in Setup2 - look at the top few. 

Tags (2)
Labels (4)
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
mattdlr89
in reply to: mattdlr89

As a follow up, I still haven't fixed this. Spent all morning going round in circles.

I've tried deleting the fixture and re-adding. Makes no difference,

I've tried deleting the assembly context that i used to make the fixture I thought it might be interfering in some way - no difference.

I made a new fixture (just a basic box as a test) within the assembly well out the way and still the same problem.

I don't know what it is picking up as a collision, but it appears if I add anything as the fixture then the simulation collides. Hoping someone can figure this out soon. Collision detection is really important for this op. 

Message 3 of 16

It's just showing you that you're colliding with your fixture. When You remove them from the setup you'll only see few spots. Verify your tooling has enough reach, adjust your heights, and open your access areas on your fixtures. 

Message 4 of 16

Perhaps a screenshot will help (I've also attached the file in the original message).

In the screenshot it shows that the bar is full of red. This op shouldn't hit anything. It's just doing the top portion. If I hover over the red in the bar it says tool collides with fixture. The only fixture selected is the one circled by yellow. 

mattdlr89_0-1613133472289.png

Message 5 of 16

Okay I see what you mean now. Looks like a glitch possibly. I can't help with that.  I can see your third adaptive is definitely going to hit.  Your boundary is going below your fixture.  But I'm not sure why the rest machining isn't keeping it away from that area.   Wish I could help more. Best of luck.

Message 6 of 16

Ok well thanks for looking.

I realise that some are going to hit the fixture but not all of them will that is what I'm trying to fix now, it's just impossible when everything is a fixture collision 😫

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

@mattdlr89 

You can change the settings in your side Adaptive toolpaths to > Bounding Box > Tool inside > Additional offset of 0.5mm (or whatever you want) and the tool will then miss the fixture by the value that you input.

Your problem is that the Model is sitting flush on the fixture and the fixture is wider than the model, if the model were to be lifted up say 10mm then Adaptive toolpaths would not need to be changed, it would mean that the model would be machined 10mm above the fixture so there would be a 10mm lump to machine off at the end.

Depending on what you want to do, rework the model position or just go with the "workaround" above is entirely up to you. I have just re-generated the top 13 operations in the attached file, on your own after that 🙂

Message 8 of 16
mattdlr89
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for your response. Something strange is going on here, I have opened up your file and the first operation is fine.

I wonder if this is only happening on my computer. When I run simulate (and I've set this up the same way I set up any other file without problem) I get a collision with the fixture when the tool is no where near the fixture. Screenshot below. This is my problem. I know there are points in my toolpath where it actually does collide with my fixture but not in the first toolpath of Setup2. It doesn't even get within 25mm of it. 

The question is, when someone else opens my file attached in the first post do they see these collisions like I do in my screenshot below. Specifically colliding with fixture in "Adaptive4"?

mattdlr89_0-1613140185647.png

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

@mattdlr89 

Nope, I do not get the same as you, All I have done is open your file, selected the first Adaptive toolpath to simulate in Setup2 and you can see I don`t have the issue you have so must be something at your end !!

CAM UL-1615.jpg

Message 10 of 16
mattdlr89
in reply to: Anonymous

Hmm @Anonymous When I looked at the file you posted back that worked completely file but I have lost all links to my solidworks file by using that one.

I've just got home and I've loaded up the file (edit: the original file I'm working on) on my home computer which is a Mac (Win10 at work). I have exactly the same problem. Simulation thinks it is hitting the fixture when it is no where near...

Anyone else able to help out with a fix for this. I've never had a problem before. My other files still work fine (thankfully!). I've tried rolling back to a fairly early state of that file to see if that would fix it and no joy. Perhaps it's linked to AnyCAD and solid works file I use. Hoping for a solution...

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 19.13.34.png

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

@mattdlr89 

You are probably correct with the idea that you are linking to another file on your computers and there is a solid there that has visibility toggled off, so Fusion can "see" it but you can not but it is trying to machine it !!

No one else will have the file you are linking to so we will not have the same problem ????

Message 12 of 16
seth.madore

@mattdlr89 I imported your .f3z file into my system and I'm seeing the collision warnings. I've got no idea where they're coming from either.....

Oh, and "as-programmed", you have some significant collisions on First Op

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 13 of 16
mattdlr89
in reply to: seth.madore

@seth.madore It's been driving me mad all day. Whatever you select as the fixture it comes up with errors. I tried just a simple rectangle far from the part and still get errors. 

Thanks on the warning for first op. I know there's still some chasing around to do with the tool paths. That was meant to be todays job - add the fixture in and trim the tool paths... I'm still trying to add the fixture in 😞.

The model file was made in solid works and imported in via Autodesk Desktop Connector - this is the workflow I use for most of my work and I haven't seen problems like this before. We made the Solidworks file so we know exactly what is in it, it all imported as expected. Hoping to get to the bottom of this - are you able to refer this onto anyone?

Message 14 of 16
seth.madore

I certainly will pass this along to the appropriate team, but they are on the other side of the world and it's evening there. They likely won't see it until Monday 😞

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 16
seth.madore

One suggestion; get rid of the defined fixture in the setup. At the toolpath level, include that fixture in the "Model" tab, and your toolpaths will calculate around the existence:

2021-02-12_16h23_17.png

 Include the model to be machined in the selection as well (turned off for privacy sake)

Seth Madore
Message 16 of 16
mattdlr89
in reply to: seth.madore

That's a good suggestion. I'd have to be careful where I have used height limits as model bottom etc. That would be a good workaround for now. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report