Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiled Toolpath

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2535 Views, 7 Replies

Tiled Toolpath

I am trying to create toolpaths for a project where the stock is larger than the capacity of the machine.  In the past, I used Vectric software which supported tiled toolpaths --- specify the x and y dimensions for the "tile" and the software segmented the toolpaths.  I couldn't find a similar capability in Fusion 360.

Does it exist?  How can I handle larger stock.  

thanks....

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Laurens-3DTechDraw
in reply to: Anonymous

It does not exist.
And working around it depends on doing 2D or 3D operations.

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Laurens-3DTechDraw

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested to know what the work arounds for 2D and3D are. I think I read something about segmenting tool paths, or about specifying material size in increments.

Sent from my iPad
Message 4 of 8
skrubol

You could do multiple setups, and use containment regions (maybe make a sketch of rectangles a bit smaller than your work envelope.)

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: skrubol

Hey I actually just gave this a shot although I haven't actually cut anything yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhshyEP5IXI&feature=youtu.be

Seems to work for the most part, not sure how overtravel will be treated or if there's any merit to oversizing tiles for more forgiving indexing.

The two setups are each referencing their own 6" x 8" component as their stock, so unfortunately for very large tiling jobs it would be necessary to make as many setups, but by creaing your first setup with toolpaths included, duplicating the setup can be used to very quickly generate the tiles and re-assign all the new stock components. You will have to go back to the modeling tab in order to create all the new stock geometry.

Message 6 of 8
rsnewmanRFVUW

OK, it's one year later, can Fusion still not do tiled toolpaths?

Message 7 of 8
Steinwerks
in reply to: rsnewmanRFVUW

@rsnewmanRFVUW wrote:

OK, it's one year later, can Fusion still not do tiled toolpaths?

No it can't, I don't believe it's a priority if it's even on the list of considered features. It is up to the programmer to make that happen.

FWIW when I used Mastercam professionally in a progressive die shop I had lots of die shoes that didn't fit in the machine (not a small machine) and it didn't support tiled programs either.

I found a good one (that plate is 2 inches thick and was pushing the 1.5 ton limit of our hoist - had to remove the guarding to get it on there):

Die Shoe.jpg

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 8 of 8
holmesmex

Old thread but leaving this here for people looking for a way to tile until it's a F360 feature.

See this video by Jonathan Katz-Moses ,the best explanation I've seen so far.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report