Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotary Axis Machining -help

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jeph00
259 Views, 5 Replies

Rotary Axis Machining -help

Good day everyone

I attempted to test out this toolpath on a stock piece of material. Simulation seemed to give the desired tool path, simulating that the tool progressed around the part as you would think a rotary tool path would.

But after all was done, this is what the finished test part looked like. As you can see, it did not make full revolutions and progress along the part; it instead broke the rotary tool path.

Can anyone tell me how I can fix this or would this have something to do with my post processor?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
daniel_lyall
in reply to: jeph00

If you turn the model of when you do the sim you see this what is bad, red = bad toolpath.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.38.21 AM.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 6
jeph00
in reply to: daniel_lyall

I can see that there is a red path because the tool is not positioned directly in the middle. But that doesn't explain why it machined the way it did. Any other ideas?

Message 4 of 6
daniel_lyall

It really depends if you want it cut to the shape of the part, wrapping pretty much can't cut stuff like that very well at all, If you want the shape it will have to be cut from the bottom of the part then use a forum tool to finish it.

Also if you look at the toolpath sim with the stock set to transparent you can see it is cutting straight down.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 2.12.20 PM.png

If select the bottom it more than likely will not eat the part.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 2.21.59 PM.png

Using a 15-degree conical cutter.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 2.26.36 PM.png

Example attached.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 5 of 6
jeph00
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Hi Daniel.

That is correct. Actually the way I plan to do this is to hog out most of the material with a 1/4" end mill and then clean it up with a custom form tool to get that proper profile.

But this still does not explain why I am getting a stepover within the "worm" instead of a consistent worm progressing along the shaft. See attached. That's 2 opposite sides of the test piece.

Message 6 of 6
daniel_lyall

It could be anything from the machine to an offset when it rewinds.

Below is a back plot it looks fine.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 8.24.43 PM.png

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report