Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"3D project" tool path with "outside boundary" tool containment

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
evanp4509U4JZ
260 Views, 4 Replies

"3D project" tool path with "outside boundary" tool containment

Is it possible to run the "3D Project" in other than "tool center on boundary" tool containment? If not what other tool path would produce a similar result, ie the tool following a sketch geometry AND the topography of the part?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

There are multiple boundary options in the Project toolpath which allow you to contain the toolpath that's projected from the selected curves curves

GeorgeRoberts_0-1593071780342.png

Do you have a sample file that shows what you're trying to achieve?

-

George Roberts

Manufacturing Product manager
If you'd like to provide feedback and discuss how you would like things to be in the future, Email Me and we can arrange a virtual meeting!
Message 3 of 5

I've tried selecting those options but it always cuts center on the cutter. In the description of "Project" it only says center but in the menu it gives the options. I have never been able to make it work other than center.

Message 4 of 5

What I am trying to do is use the "Project" toolpath to cut along the sketch labeled "Project Path" to buff the edge of the part with a 1" diameter scotchbrite wheel. I need the 3D geometry to be able to pass the wheel above and below the edge of the part to debur the cut.

What I ended up doing was use the sketch labeled "Offset path" and create temporary 3D geometry (removed for clarity) and use 2 different axial offsets to pass the wheel above and below the material edge to debur and round the edge.

It seems odd to me that in the description of "PROJECT" in the 3D milling menu it says "Allows you to machine along the contour with the center of the tool" but in the "PROJECT" setup menu it offers "inside, center, outside" tool containment. I have tried using all the options but it always cuts down the center. Am I selecting it incorrectly somehow? 

Thanks in advance

Message 5 of 5

The model is a trim fixture that a .060" thick molded part goes on to be trimmed and deburred. So the actual trimmed and deburred part is not there.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report