Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW Tool Library

266 REPLIES 266
SOLVED
Message 1 of 267
veso58S5W
146550 Views, 266 Replies

NEW Tool Library

😫that's first impression.
What was the reason to change?
Why mess up good things?
How you organize tools? If I want list to be by #. Or by diameters?
Renumber Tool, now I must go through several operations.

266 REPLIES 266
Message 121 of 267
gtprototype
in reply to: Mattxer

I just updated to the latest release to see how things are progressing.  I'm really struggling to embrace this new tool library because in spite of all the improvements the readability remains significantly reduced from the existing tool library.  This is extremely frustrating because, regardless of all the hard work going into this update, unless the readability is addressed, once this is implemented, the software becomes unusable for me.

Dale Speakes
prototype technology
Message 122 of 267

@gtprototypeThere is no higher priority than reliability.

No feature - promised or delivered is more important than overall reliability.

Carlos Acosta
Factory400 - YouTube|Instagram
Message 123 of 267

I'd like to add 1 request: to link the coolant to the tool.  I know if you create an operation, the coolant will be set to what was set with the tool, but if you decide, later on (it happens), to change the coolant type for a tool, you have to do it in each operation that the tool is used.  I would like to be able to link this to the tool somehow, as optional, in case someone needs to be able to set the coolant differently on some operations.  I am not sure how this would be implemented...  It would have to be triggered by the tool in the library, maybe a button "update coolant on all operations for this tool" or something like that...

Sorry if it has been requested already, didn't see it.

Message 124 of 267

Yes, this feature will definitely be useful. I was just dealing with this same issue. Some sort of quick way to change coolant type thru tool library rather than going in each operations to change it.

Message 125 of 267
mcd540
in reply to: umesh.bilimoria

Fusion 360 Tool Library.jpg

The image should speak for itself mostly, but to explain I was checking out the new tool library and was exploring the edit function of an existing tool. When I went back to the main library window there was this orange triangle with a ! in it and a barely readable message. Three steps forward and four backwards is not a victory. Please abandon the low contrast theme, regardless of how popular that format is we want an interface geared toward quick and productive.

One other thing, in regards to the first notation on my illustration, when (not if) the garbage can is accidentally clicked on is the tool library gone forever in an instant, or do we have a chance to back out and save it? I guess I could make a fresh backup copy of the library and give it try, but I have spent a hour to much already on this.

Sorry to be negative, but there are some serious concerns with some of these issues.

Message 126 of 267
MatthewPBryant
in reply to: mcd540

@gtprototype Thanks for bringing up the readability issues you're having. We did make some changes to try to improve the readability, including making text darker and bolder, following feedback from users. Sorry that you're still finding this a problem - I'll be sure to raise it with the team.

@mcd540 It looks like you have an old version of the tool library, you can follow the instructions here to check Fusion is up to date: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/fusion-360/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-d...

In the latest update, you'll notice that the yellow triangle has gone and we're handling invalid tools in a different way - you can find out more about that on the What's New page. When you click on the 'Delete library' button you'll be prompted with a message to confirm you want to delete the library. If you press 'cancel' at this point, your library won't be deleted.

delete.gif

delete.JPG

Matt Bryant
Sr. Software Engineer
Message 127 of 267
Anonymous
in reply to: MatthewPBryant

The function tool is great, maybe I'm jumping in too early with adopting it but there are a couple of "bugs".

1- Maybe the function should/shouldn't be enabled by default?, but I figured I would make a blank "template" endmill, drill etc. to retain those functions instead of typing them in every time (might as well just input the actual dimension with possibly less keystrokes and less to remember) but unfortunately they don't save with the tool.

2- I also get an error when trying to make the "shoulder length" to reference flute_length and some other errors that don't make sense *see below. Obviously the expression naming I thought it would be is wrong, just took a guess at what it would be.. Is there a list of these expressions documented somewhere?

Not a complaint by any means, just reporting my findings. There have been many ideas thrown out about the new tool library functionality... Some good and useful to put as priorities and some can be set further down the list for future improvements. The Fusion team must document everyone's ideas and input and prioritize them internally, maybe a good idea however possible is for Fusion to publish some of those ideas and create a voting poll where us users can vote on those ideas and have the Fusion team prioritize updates that way?? It would help sort through the data and have the team not get bombarded with too many ideas without practical user guidance on improvements.

dcyrKPTG6_0-1588164667828.png

Message 128 of 267
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Me again! 

Along with being able to save column layout for tool descriptions, can/could it be set to save that particular layout for individual tool libraries? Been using Fusion mostly for milling but trying to transition some of my turning toolpaths as well. Just began to notice that even though tools are defined separately, the column layout and descriptions are consistent for all tools. If I have a library for "Endmills" tool diameter, shank diameter, length of cut, etc are relevant but if I create a separate "Turning tools" crib some of that information does not pertain. A turning tool will not need "flute length" or "# of flutes" etc.. vice-versa an endmill may not need the same nomenclature visible.

May not be the way everyone organizes their tools but to me it makes sense.

dcyrKPTG6_0-1588166563685.png

Message 129 of 267
Stuart-H

would you then subdivide the list 

say 

drills

...... spot drills 

end mills 

..... all the variants bull ,ball, finish

just a random thought but if Fusion 360 Team go to far then you loose the KISS principal

a definite plea use a high contrast for the text full black on full black  or 0,0,0. 255,255,255 RGB

the metal types can be done in the preset section 

Mac Studio M1Max and MacBook Pro M1
Message 130 of 267
Anonymous
in reply to: Stuart-H

It can be divided and tools stored in each individual library however the user prefers, each "sub-library" under the main library "Cloud" "Local", etc. will have it's own unique name similar to my example. When you click to open that library it opens in it's own dialog with only the tools stored inside that library now so regardless of the name, the column header settings should remain saved with that library. That way if you store your tools similar to the way I do, each separate library will have it's own column names and sorting. IMO the simplest way to implement it and users can set it up how they wish.

dcyrKPTG6_0-1588172138115.png

Message 131 of 267
Leo_Dyn

I like that idea. I know it'd be a bigger ask, but if you could also have copy/paste of column formatting that would be even better!

Message 132 of 267
mcd540
in reply to: MatthewPBryant

Thank Matthew.  When I opened Fusion to check if it was the latest version it had just applied the latest update and it was much better.

Message 133 of 267

I posted on this thread back when the library preview was first made available. I was very critical of it back then, but it seems that many of the issues I had with it have been / are being resolved with each update. I have started using it more frequently and though I am still waiting for some much needed quality of life changes, especially to the library's speed & sorting functions, I find it to be MUCH more usable in its current state.

I have a few quality of life suggestions regarding tool numbering since it's functionality is still pretty basic & it wasn't the greatest even in the original version of the tool library:

• Automatic renumbering of tools in a document/setup library according to machining operation order. This actually currently exists in the original tool library, but I can't seem to get it to work like this in the new library.
  • Option to do manual renumbering using an indexed list. It would be great if we had the option to drag & drop tools in an editable list in addition to how they can be sorted by fields and apply a numbering scheme to the tools once they are ordered the desired way. It would be even better if this could be applied to a whole saved or document library as well as each setup within a document library.
  • Ability to clear tool numbers in bulk. This was possible by starting numbering at and incrementing by 0 in the old tool library. The new library doesn't allow 0 to be used for renumbering. I think it would be more intuitive if there was a simple option to clear all tool numbers.
Message 134 of 267

not sure if others would like it, but i think it would be pretty neat if when i add my speeds and feeds to a tool i could add a desired depth of cut, axially and radially.

maybe even have under 1 endmill several speeds and feeds driven by the material of the workpiece, which can be set in the setup tab. So i can have 1 3 flute endmill with several formulas for different materials, less clutter to the tool library.

with this said i havent tried the new tool library yet, so for all i know these are included! I'm sure whatever gets done to it will be with purpose and be very helpful

Message 135 of 267

@CuttingEdgeManufacturingyou can do that. There's a checkbox for "use stepover" and "use stepdown" or something similar. Seems like it works on adaptive strategies as well as most 2d strategies if you click "multiple depths" but double check since I noticed not all toolpaths seem linked yet.

Message 136 of 267
Anonymous

That functionality has been added with a checkbox for stepover or stepdown. It’s nice and useful when setting up different feeds speech for a particular tool. 

Message 137 of 267
vworpi

The new tool library has come on leaps and bounds in the last few weeks. Pat on the back for everyone involved.

I'm now using it as the default library as it's pro's now outweigh it's con's for me.

Cutting data profiles are excellent. Not found any issues with them yet, they are certainly the best new feature added.

On the Cutter tab, when we edit a tool, I'm missing the linked dimensions between the drawing and the geometry data. I know it highlights when we click on a geometry field, but can't we have some leader lines so we can see at a glance?

When we add a new tool, the available tool types are organised alphabetically. Might there be a case for organising them by more frequent/popular. Or having favourites which are sorted to the front? When I create a new milling tool, 90% of the time I'm adding a face mill or a flat end mill. Same with drilling, it's usually centre, drill, boring bar.

It would just represent the traditional workflow a little better and save me a couple of seconds per new tool 🙂 Same with the searching filters.

Can we please, please, please have sub folders in the browser tree? I've got multiple tool vendor folders, custom tool folders, tool holder folders, machine tool kit folders (sometimes the same machine with different tool layouts) and I'm getting rather cluttered.

Can we have optional write protect on a folder/tool level? Not password protected, just add an extra layer of "Are you sure?"

Not quite on the new tool list. In machine configurations, could we have a field for default tool folder like we have with post processors? So when we select a tool, it takes us to the folder most likely to suit that machine?

Message 138 of 267

@vworpi Thanks for the feedback and I am please that you have started to use the new library as the default.

I have this morning updated a task to re order the tool names from alphabetical to a more logical one but the problem is everyone will have a slightly different preference. Your idea of selecting favorites could be a good option in the long term. Sub folders and drag and drop are also areas that have been considered and it helps when users bring them up as it pushes it up the priorities. 

Thanks

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 139 of 267

I love the new tool library, best fusion update in a long time. Could do with the coolant options being tweaked, currently only able to save end mill data as flood coolant, we need all the cooling options. Apart from that, fantastic update.

Message 140 of 267
CuttingEdgeManufacturing

how do i use it? seems i check it and no prompt occurs or allows me to input the data!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report